AAPC - Back to school

Thread: ECHO reads and Cath global period? HELP

Question ECHO reads and Cath global period? HELP

AAPC: Back to School
    I am new to cardiology coding and needs some help. I have been told that to bill the read only for an echo that takes place at a later date, you would bill for the actual date of the echo. I have also been told that you bill the date of the read. Which is correct????

I have looked on the CMS website for information on global periods but cannot find anything. Is there a global period for cardiac catheterization?

Moore, OK

Cardiac catheterizations have a global period of 000 which is referred to as "same day" global. In other words, the global period is the day of the procedure.

PC and TC components of echocardiography should both be reported with the DOS on which the test was conducted.

Smile Thank You

Thanks so much.

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 12:19 PM
  2. How to determine global period with 2 procedures/2 different global periods
    By AHVC in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 11:37 AM
  3. echo reads
    By sky in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 10:29 AM
  4. Heart Cath and Echo same day
    By Melonyw in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 03:50 PM