AAPC - Back to school

Thread: E/M and venipuncture

Default E/M and venipuncture

AAPC: Back to School
    Our billing company is telling us that we cannot ever bill for an office visit with a venipuncture. They say that the 36415 is an add-on code. They have been writing them all off. I know about the 99211 and a veinpuncture but we often bill for the following example:

Patient presents with fatigue and the doctor wants to do blood work. We will charge a 99213 and a 36415.

Does anyone have any documentation stating that it is acceptable to bill for both the office visit and the venipuncture on the same visit? I understand that some insurance companies will bundle them but I am having a hard time finding any documentation on Trailblazer or Medicare stating that the 36415 is not an add-on code. Please let me know if we are doing this wrong! Thanks for any help!

Bradenton, FL

I do not have any documentation to support this at hand, but we bill it all the time. It is absolutely acceptable.

Columbia, MO

Add on codes are designated in the CPT with a + next to the number so 36415 is not an add on code.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

It is valid to code the 36415 in addition to the E&M. But some payers do consider it inclusive and deny separate payment. But we code and bill it.

Similar Threads

1. Venipuncture - Can an MA perform
    By linwill3 in forum Internal Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 08:07 AM
  2. help venipuncture
    By perkins05 in forum E/M
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-20-2010, 07:36 AM
  3. Venipuncture - When would it be appropriate
    By alysonrs in forum Hematology/Oncology
    Replies: 1