No - Per CPT Assistant, August 2002: "The delivery of the placenta, as listed above, is considered an integral component of the total vaginal or cesarean delivery. Therefore, it would not be appropriate to report code 59414, Delivery of placenta (separate procedure), in addition to the code for the delivery service. Code 59414 is reported only when the patient delivers vaginally, before admission, with subsequent delivery of the placenta by a physician."
What you'd want to bill for this scenario is code 59160. CPT Assistant, Sept. 2002 Q&A:
"What is the appropriate code to report for a suctional D&C of retained placenta after the delivery?
From a CPT coding perspective, it would be appropriate to report CPT code 59160, Curettage, postpartum, for the D&C of the retained placenta."
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join