AAPC - Back to school

Thread: when to bill an inpatient discharge

Default when to bill an inpatient discharge

AAPC: Back to School
    Can someone please help me!!! I need to know when it would be appropriate for an ortho surgeon to bill for an inpatient discharge. For instance when we admit someone for surgery I have not been billing for discharge as I was told we should not. But what if pt comes in through emergency room my dr is called by the er dr regarding the pt and he says to admit. My dr sees the pt. pt is inhouse a couple of days. My doc wants to charge admitt, 2 daily visits and discharge. Is that correct??? If someone can direct me to where I could find some info regarding billing for discharge i would greatly appreciate it!

Greeley, Colorado

Your doctor can code for the admission, subsequent days and discharge for the final day (can't code for the subsequent and discharge onthe same date). Unless the patient had a procedure with a global period you can code for these services.
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

so if they are scheduled for inpatient surgery then only charge for the surgery not admit or discharge correct??? That is how I have been doing it.

Thanks for your response

Similar Threads

1. Inpatient Discharge Question
    By Jody Mortensen in forum E/M
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2015, 05:18 PM
  2. Inpatient and discharge
    By DSchrlau in forum E/M
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-18-2011, 10:04 AM
  3. Help with inpatient discharge
    By maine4me in forum E/M
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 12:29 PM
  4. bill for discharge???
    By ivonneatanacio in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 11:00 AM
  5. Can U Bill A Subsequent after Discharge?
    By neverstoplearning in forum E/M
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 06:29 PM