Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Looking for a coding job when you have no experience

1. Default
    Medical Coding Books
    Quote Originally Posted by Grintwig View Post
    I guess I am just one of the lucky ones. I took the class and two months later sat for and passed the CPC. I didn't get a job right off. I started looking before I sat for the test and it took 6 months to find a job but I applied to everything. I even applied at temp agencies.
    Alot of what I applied to paid very poorly and I was told again and again that I didn't have enough experience. I was very depressed and feeling like I had made a big mistake. It seemed like there were no jobs for a person with no experience and the places that were hiring weren't offering enough money to have made my expense and effort worthwhile.
    Then wonder of all wonders I was called to interview with a local surgical practice. In the interview I told them upfront that I had no "real world" experience, my background was in retail, but that I would work hard and continue to study everything about coding.
    To make a long story short they offered me the job, with no experience, at twice what the other places I had interviewed with were offering!! So it can happen.....just keep trying. Apply everywhere. Most hospitals, at least in my area demand you have a CCS or so many years experience but lots of doctor's offices do aren't as picky.

I'm in the same boat as many others are too: recent billing & coding grad and also recently passed the CPC, but can't find a job. I too am trying to start a new career, but I also have an extensive customer service and management background along with a lot of transferable skills.

It is VERY frustrating trying to find anything here in the Tampa, FL area. I've applied to every billing or coding or front office of medical records job I can find for over 5 months now- and nothing.

Your story is encouraging. Thanks. I'll keep trying. Best of luck to everyone!

I generally stay out of this issue, after having made several suggestions in the past. However, I want to address two things in these posts.

Respectfully I ask, first, if AAPC was to give incentives....what would these be? and who would pay for them? There are plenty of comments on other posts that the current membership fee is too high and questions about its value. I personally think the membership fee is fair and gives a good value. However, would it now be expected to raise the membership fee to cover these "incentives?" Would this be fair to ALL members? I don't think so. Many of us have paid our dues and found our jobs and would not need to take advantage of this "benefit" but would we now need to cover "our portion" with increased membership fee? Why would people already questioning the membership fees want to pay more? especially if it would be of no benefit to a large number of members.

Secondly, again respectfully, I believe some people have a misguided understanding of the different types of credentials available today. It seems (and I could be wrong) that when some of you can't find a job, due to lack of experience, with a CPC, you decide to get the CCS credential to make you more attractive. It seems first, that many of you don't understand the differences in IP and OP coding, and second, if you don't have experience for the CPC, you don't have experience for the CCS. Its not how many credentials you have that make you more attractive to employers, its the proper crendential (CPC - if wanting to do OP coding, or CCS - if wanting IP coding) AND the needed experience. Getting the CCS because you can't find employment with the CPC and no experience, still leaves you with no experience.

Good luck to each of you, in whatever path you choose,
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

3. Default
    That really stinks! I am currently a biller at an office in St. Pete Florida but I have hopes of getting into a practice that will pay me for my skills. I mean I am the only one in a small practice that does the billing here ( & then some ) & now they want me to take on coding as well. I hardly have time to do what I have now, posting, follow up, statements, not to mention the extras I must to in order to maintain flow & then to take on coding as well. I am going to sink in all this work. I am in school now for coding, I can only hope between my school seeking out jobs for me & my 2 years of billing that there is hope I can land a job that will pay more than I am making now. I mean I have a full plate here & hardly get enough money to make it. I really had hopes coding would open more doors but I can see that most places want 3 years or more coding. It is so depressing.

gavyton,

Do not be depressed! You may have a lot on your plate, many of us do, but you are gaining relative experience. I worked many years in billing, doing coding also, and it gave me some great experience. Keep your head above water, and keep moving forward. Its impressive that you are willing to learn more, take on more, and do what needs to be done to get the job done.

Best of luck to you!

Machelle
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

5. Default
    Thanks so much! Yes I hope it will land me a better position by learning all I am currently while on the job & in school. It is a ton to take on as they continue to bring in more providers, I just hope they bring in more billers Then maybe my load would get less & I would be able to stay with my head above water. I hope to one day put it all to use as a CPC... or whatever other cert. I may decide to take. I am just going to keep my fingers crossed! - Amanda

Default Well stated--- Again
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorningstarcpc View Post
    I generally stay out of this issue, after having made several suggestions in the past. However, I want to address two things in these posts.

Respectfully I ask, first, if AAPC was to give incentives....what would these be? and who would pay for them? There are plenty of comments on other posts that the current membership fee is too high and questions about its value. I personally think the membership fee is fair and gives a good value. However, would it now be expected to raise the membership fee to cover these "incentives?" Would this be fair to ALL members? I don't think so. Many of us have paid our dues and found our jobs and would not need to take advantage of this "benefit" but would we now need to cover "our portion" with increased membership fee? Why would people already questioning the membership fees want to pay more? especially if it would be of no benefit to a large number of members.

Secondly, again respectfully, I believe some people have a misguided understanding of the different types of credentials available today. It seems (and I could be wrong) that when some of you can't find a job, due to lack of experience, with a CPC, you decide to get the CCS credential to make you more attractive. It seems first, that many of you don't understand the differences in IP and OP coding, and second, if you don't have experience for the CPC, you don't have experience for the CCS. Its not how many credentials you have that make you more attractive to employers, its the proper crendential (CPC - if wanting to do OP coding, or CCS - if wanting IP coding) AND the needed experience. Getting the CCS because you can't find employment with the CPC and no experience, still leaves you with no experience.

Good luck to each of you, in whatever path you choose,
    Thanks Machelle....

Your saying exactly what others have been posting on these types of threads... I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the way you do on this topic....
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Default your a trooper
    Quote Originally Posted by gavyton View Post
    Thanks so much! Yes I hope it will land me a better position by learning all I am currently while on the job & in school. It is a ton to take on as they continue to bring in more providers, I just hope they bring in more billers Then maybe my load would get less & I would be able to stay with my head above water. I hope to one day put it all to use as a CPC... or whatever other cert. I may decide to take. I am just going to keep my fingers crossed! - Amanda
    Amanda...

I think the the work ethics you are showing on these boards. you will be very successful in your career... You have the right attitude and your not giving up either... maybe your practice will hire more billers and then you could concentrate on the coding part... you never know... it's worth a shot at sitting with your office manager, practice administrator to find out what could be in store for you once you finish your schooling too! You will already have the 2 years experience so you wouldn't need to have the Apprentice behind your credentials....

I wish you the best of luck! Please keep me posted on how your doing....
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Quote Originally Posted by gavyton View Post
    That really stinks! I am currently a biller at an office in St. Pete Florida but I have hopes of getting into a practice that will pay me for my skills. I mean I am the only one in a small practice that does the billing here ( & then some ) & now they want me to take on coding as well. I hardly have time to do what I have now, posting, follow up, statements, not to mention the extras I must to in order to maintain flow & then to take on coding as well. I am going to sink in all this work. I am in school now for coding, I can only hope between my school seeking out jobs for me & my 2 years of billing that there is hope I can land a job that will pay more than I am making now. I mean I have a full plate here & hardly get enough money to make it. I really had hopes coding would open more doors but I can see that most places want 3 years or more coding. It is so depressing.

Maybe instead of complaining about the increased responsiblity to "take on the coding", you can consider this an opportunity to learn more about this field. There are thousands of certified coders who are unable to get experience (never mind even a job) who would be thrilled to have the opportunity that you have been presented. Frankly, your attitude is unfortunate. Take a peek at the resume posting board...I bet someone there would love to take over for you.

It's not about the money, and if it is, you should just move on right now. Nobody is getting rich in healthcare any longer. It's about job satisfaction and the opportunity to help and learn. With budget cuts, payer constraints and a poor economy, we're all overworked, but personally, I'm damned happy to have a job.

Pull up your big girl (or boy) pants, everyone. Life isn't going to hand you a winning lottery ticket. You have to work to get what you want, and you're never going to start at the top. I've posted (and presented) on this topic before, and continue to be amazed at the whining and ranting on this professional board.
    Pam Brooks, MHA, COC, PCS, CPC, AAPC Fellow
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

9. Default
    Believe me I know how lucky I am to have a job. It is hard enough to get a job out there as it is but before you think I am just an big ungrateful baby you would have to understand the extreme pressure that I am put under at my job. I have voiced my concerns & they seem to be of no importance to managment. & as far as getting rich... not looking to do that but looking to survive & be paid atleast what new billers in the field would. If you read my other posts you would see that I do think of this as a benefit to my career as well but again if I am basically being left to sink or swim I would like to think that maybe my concerns with the billing pattern would be taken into consideration in order to have a successful office. Believe me when the new hire front office or desk staff makes more than the biller there is an issue. So yes I am looking to better myself & find an employer who will be more willing to work with me to better improve the flow of our office. I respect your opinion on this matter but please understand I know I am lucky to even have a job.

10. Default
    Thanks Roxanne! I sure have put in a long road, basically came into this job & was thrown into it so I had teach myself about billing. I am still learning & also am trying to take on the basics of coding. I have faith that once I have put in my time that it will pay off, in more than one way. It is for sure a benefit to my career. I hope to one day be in a place that really cares about flow & being a real team to make things better as a whole for the practice.
    Last edited by 01161870; 09-01-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast