Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Looking for a coding job when you have no experience

Medical Coding Books
    Quote Originally Posted by gavyton View Post
    Believe me I know how lucky I am to have a job. It is hard enough to get a job out there as it is but before you think I am just an big ungrateful baby you would have to understand the extreme pressure that I am put under at my job. I have voiced my concerns & they seem to be of no importance to managment. & as far as getting rich... not looking to do that but looking to survive & be paid atleast what new billers in the field would. If you read my other posts you would see that I do think of this as a benefit to my career as well but again if I am basically being left to sink or swim I would like to think that maybe my concerns with the billing pattern would be taken into consideration in order to have a successful office. Believe me when the new hire front office or desk staff makes more than the biller there is an issue. So yes I am looking to better myself & find an employer who will be more willing to work with me to better improve the flow of our office. I respect your opinion on this matter but please understand I know I am lucky to even have a job.
    Ok, how about putting together a proposal?.....explain to them, with reports, graphs, regulatory guidance, etc., just what your value is to them. Talk about the dollars, the legalities, the payer contracts, and the patient satisfaction. And then point out what it would cost them to lose you. Do your research, check your data, get some professional opinions, and then set up an appointment with your principals. Wear your power suit, and pull out all the stops. If a professionally prepared and presented campaign doesn't show them that you're serious, then they have no business being in the business. It may be that they don't quite understand their liability without an experienced coder on board. It also might open up lines of communication; there might be more going on than you know. If you're unable to speak to them at this particular level of detail, then perhaps you're being paid fairly, I don't know. But...let me know if you need any assistance. Pam
    Pam Brooks, MHA, COC, PCS, CPC, AAPC Fellow
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Brooks View Post
    Ok, how about putting together a proposal?.....explain to them, with reports, graphs, regulatory guidance, etc., just what your value is to them. Talk about the dollars, the legalities, the payer contracts, and the patient satisfaction. And then point out what it would cost them to lose you. Do your research, check your data, get some professional opinions, and then set up an appointment with your principals. Wear your power suit, and pull out all the stops. If a professionally prepared and presented campaign doesn't show them that you're serious, then they have no business being in the business. It may be that they don't quite understand their liability without an experienced coder on board. It also might open up lines of communication; there might be more going on than you know. If you're unable to speak to them at this particular level of detail, then perhaps you're being paid fairly, I don't know. But...let me know if you need any assistance. Pam

Thanks Pam. I that sounds like a plan. We have had a few meetings on this but never really on a level that I felt was needed, kind of felt like it was last on their list of importance & brushed off. Maybe due to the fact that they really rather not shell out to pay to hire more staff, not sure. I think the fact of the matter is the politics get in the way here. When you have a mgr that is new to being a manager & can't keep business & social life apart within the practice it tends to cause issues all around. It is becoming an issue more & more in all departments of people feeling like the load is getting toooo heavy. It seems to have become less professional here with the focus of maintaining a strong successful practice taking the backseat to who is doing what tonight. I am finding it hard to get across the fact that there is more & more coming in & only one of me. But I like your idea... I can only hope that I am heard. & if I am not well then I guess I bide my time until I can land a position in which my goals & strive for team playing is able to be put to use in order to maintain a successful flow.

Quote Originally Posted by gavyton View Post
    Thanks Roxanne! I sure have put in a long road, basically came into this job & was thrown into it so I had teach myself about billing. I am still learning & also am trying to take on the basics of coding. I have faith that once I have put in my time that it will pay off, in more than one way. It is for sure a benefit to my career. I hope to one day be in a place that really cares about flow & being a real team to make things better as a whole for the practice.
    Sounds like you started off the same way I did. I started at a nursing home being the receptionist then CNA and then billing office. The girl who did the billing went out on maturnity leave and they just gave me the load off of her desk. At that point in time I was 19 years old, no billing background... the first time I saw a HCFA- 1500 form was when the hospital sent it over for one of our patients thru the mail and I called them and asked them what this "red and white form was for" LOL... I can certainly laugh at that now but then it was a nightmare and a challenge and I taught myself billing I called offices that i was getting bills from for our residents and they were nice enough to guide me thru.... now 20 years later here I am......
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

4. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by rthames052006 View Post
    Sounds like you started off the same way I did. I started at a nursing home being the receptionist then CNA and then billing office. The girl who did the billing went out on maturnity leave and they just gave me the load off of her desk. At that point in time I was 19 years old, no billing background... the first time I saw a HCFA- 1500 form was when the hospital sent it over for one of our patients thru the mail and I called them and asked them what this "red and white form was for" LOL... I can certainly laugh at that now but then it was a nightmare and a challenge and I taught myself billing I called offices that i was getting bills from for our residents and they were nice enough to guide me thru.... now 20 years later here I am......
    Wow, yup that sounds like me. From medical assistant to referrals to billing to hope to be coder. Thanks for the clue into your path. It gives me hope. I love my doctor & don't want to bail out on her but I do have to think of my future. I am so glad this office gave me a chance ( may have had to do with they knew they could get me in cheaper than a biller with years of exp. but I am going with the fact they saw something in me, makes for a better story, lol ) I will be sure to keep you posted on what direction I head into. It is just hard times in America period! There are no jobs hardly any ol place but I sure hope there is one for me out there that I can grow in!!!

& funny about the HCFA... I said the same exact thing 3-4 years ago when I was working as a tech in a small optometrist office. I thought "what the heck is this they want me to stick in the printer".... my how far I have come & hope to keep going.

Keep us posted.....everyone loves a success story!
    Pam Brooks, MHA, COC, PCS, CPC, AAPC Fellow
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

Keep your head up Gavyton. I didn't take that YOU were whining, just struggling trying to keep up, like a lot of us have done also. If you want to talk sometime, PM me and I will give you my number and/or email.
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

Does anyone know if being a Medical Bill Reviewer be considered experience, or at least partial experience?

There is another thread with many similar postings about this topic titled "No Coding Jobs for Inexperienced Coders" also under "General Discussion". I posted there as well.

I am currently a bill reviewer of workers' comp medical claims. Though I don't do any actual coding, and I rely a lot on bill review software, I am very familiar with what needs to be filled out on the claim forms and if any documentation is needed in order for the insurance companies to reimburse the providers. I wonder if this would be considered any kind of experience to help me get my foot in the door towards a coding job. I even asked the supervisor at our company who is over the department that performs coding logic review with the primary focus on E&M codes, and the coders must be certified and experienced. She didn't specify what kind of experience, though.

I recently graduated from a local community college and took some coding classes, one in which prepared me for taking the CPC exam. A few years ago, I was interested in medical transcription, but eventually my interest changed towards medical coding, partly due to the changes that MT has gone through.

I still plan on taking the CPC exam later this year, but I guess I'll be in the same boat as the other apprentice coders and just try to get my foot in the door to get that “A” off. I too might be overqualified for a front end position due to my past experience and knowledge to take a lower level position. And if an employer knows I don't plan on staying at a non-coding position for very long because I'm just using it to get my foot in the door towards a coding career, they may not want to hire me.

I know I shouldn't have a negative attitude about all this, but it's hard not to feel a little caught in what seems to be a catch-22 situation.

8. Default Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorningstarcpc View Post
    Keep your head up Gavyton. I didn't take that YOU were whining, just struggling trying to keep up, like a lot of us have done also. If you want to talk sometime, PM me and I will give you my number and/or email.
    Maybe it did come off a little.... well like a brat or whining but really you hit the nail on the head. I am just trying to keep up. I want to do good & keep the on top of things as best I can. It is hard when you work in a place that kind of has things a little mixed up on what should come 1st. I do love my job, my doctor, ... & my providers, I just could use a hand in keeping up with it all. & maybe a little order in the importance of maintaining a bit professionalism w/i the practice, again some of the order is off there. Plus a little extra pay would be nice considering that the new hire girl who answers the phone makes more than me. lol. Just want to survive a bit better in these hard times we all are faced with. I thank you for the offer, it sure does help to have people who understand & know what it is like being kind of new to the game Same to you feel free to drop me a message any ol time! - Amanda

9. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelaRank View Post
    I couldn't agree more with all of you. I too have my cerfification and can not get even a job interview. Unfortunately I think the AAPC should address this problem one of two ways. Either they start an incentive plan with employers to encourage companies with incentives so that they will want to hire and train entry level certified coders or they get rid off the apprentice certification and require two years work experience in the medical field first before you can take the certification test. Otherwise AAPC is happly taking our money to test and recertify every year without any concern whether we actully can "use" our certificaton. (Their certification is only as good as the employers who correctly use it). In otherwords why would an employeer care to hire someone certified over someone who isn't if there are no incentives or requirements to make them do it.
    I agree it hardly seems worth the time and effort to get certified if no one will hire a CPC-A with no experience, according to the AAPC at least 18,000 coding positions go unfilled each year, my question is where are they located, maybe Fantasyland! thomas.angel36@yahoo.com

10. Default
    Yep, I'm in the same boat too. I graduated in May, passed the CPC exam. So I am nationally certified but cannot find a job.. no real world experience. I have even noticed that the scheduling software they teach at SLCC is outdated. Most places use Tandem and IDX. Plus, I know there is a knew EMR system coming out very soon (I intern at salt lake valley health department and they are training for it) called EPIC. This internship I found on my own because SLCC had a long wait list and did not help me, I emailed Project Xtern and they had nothing. My unemployment had run out, I needed something. This internship gives me no coding experience, but some medical record experience. But, I have been turned down for (seriously) no less than 3-4 dozen jobs in the last 4 months since graduating. Mostly, it is 1 of 2 things. Not enough hands on experience, and I don't speak spanish fluently. That part depends on the job. I have applied at st marks, IHC website, U of U, so many others. Luck is running out but i am still trying to get my CEU's and apply and go to local meetings. I haven't been to one yet but I am trying to make it. any help would be great

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast