AAPC - Back to school
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Looking for a coding job when you have no experience

Nashville, TN

Thumbs up Virtual Experience: Apprentice Removal

AAPC: Back to School
    This just came out last week. This sounds very promising and wonderful. As soon as I get certified, I am definitely going to try this out!

Virtual Experience: Apprentice Removal

As an alternative to on-the-job experience, a CPC-A may earn the removal of the apprentice designation by accurately coding 800 operative notes virtually. The operative notes are real, redacted notes representing 17 specialties and are available to code online. We believe this experience will closely simulate coding in a multi-specialty practice. This will serve two purposes for the CPC-A. First, it will enable the removal of the apprentice designation without having to get a job, which is often difficult to obtain without experience. Second, it gives the coder a proficiency score to show to potential employers to provide evidence of coding skills.

New Haven, CT

Default I'm in the same boat...

But I'm in medical collections. We work for major hospitals in Connecticut and are owned by one of the major hospital systems in the state. I doubt that my 8 years here, will eliminate my A.

EPIC is now a big thing in this Health System, but they want clinical people to be involved in most of it. I could try to apply, but I don't think I'd qualify. It's like the Great Wall of China, trying to get employed at this place. Unions and whatnot.

Anyone have a billing/coding position in Southern CT? Or Florida?

Default 4months of experience carnella40

hello my name is carnella times i got my certification back in june of 2010 went on my externship 20 hours i never got the chance to work in this feild although i would love to but noone seems to be hiring noone with a certificate this class was not a waste Ive tried to go for the test but bein in school I had no 300.00so Im stuck with a certificate that we can do nothin with Im looking to get in this feild What do u sugguest I do I need more experiencebut I am a quick leaner and Ive been trying to get into this type of employment but I was told I had to be AHIMA certified.

I know its challenging but coding is worth the effort. Have you tried an Xternship? I recently completed three months of mine at one of Chicago's hospitals...give it a try and good luck!

I completly agree with you! You cannot get a coding job without experience but if that is the case when will we ever get experience when companies do not give us a chance. I too, in a way, am a lucky one. My friend already worked as a coder in a clinic and her family friend was the manager of the coding department where she worked. So then I was given the chance to work temporary since many companies are not hiring right now and budgets are being cut. I am only working as a part-time temp but even though I would have loved to be a full time employee getting the experience is a BIG plus! Before I received this position I applied for anything in the medical field thinking that even if I would get a position I could "move up" in the company to the position I wanted to be in. I guess I am in a way very lucky to know people in this position that helped me get my foot in the door. In a coupkle of weeks my job will no longer be here and I am back to square one but this time I have a little bit experience to help me land a coding position. My fingers are crossed hoping this company decides to make a position for me but with so many changes that are happening my chances are slim. I can only keep wishing.

It really is frustrating and you think that all of the classroom & hours of study were for nothing. Think SMARTER and try not to be overcome by frustration. Keep applying to all ads which advertise for a coder and by all means apply to those ads which are looking for billing. Be willing to start in a company as a front desk clerk and show them that you have the skills for advancement! This area is a rough area for hiring since all physician offices are practically owned by the hospital billing companies. Keep up-to-date with the coding changes and you will find the one person that will put their trust in you and realize that they need you. Good luck to everyone with their job hunting!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234