AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Appendectomy

Default Appendectomy

AAPC: Back to School
    My Surgeons Performed An Appendectomy (nothing Wrong With Appendix) But Diagnosis Was That Of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. I Should Be Billing For Exploratory Laparotomy Only, Correct?

Was the patient having symptoms (like abd. pain) that made them suspect appendicitis?

Yes She Was.

I Did Ask This Question At A Very Recent Seminar. The Answer Was That You Would Only Charge An Exploratory Laparotomy, The Appendectomy Is Incidental If There Is No Diagnosis To Substantiate The Appendectomy....

Thank You!

Default Appendectomy

What diagnosis code would you use for this if there are no symptoms? I have a case where the patient was sent in to surgery for uterine prolapse and they removed the appendix. There was nothing dx code related in the surgery report.

Often, when a surgeon is performing abdominal surgery, they also remove the appendix. Typically, it would be incidental to the main abdominal procedure. If, in fact, they found gallstones or some other indication, you could charge for the appendectomy with modifier 59. But again, in order to charge for it, the appendectomy would be subject to medical necessity.
    Last edited by Treetoad; 06-15-2008 at 03:24 AM.

Similar Threads

1. appendectomy
    By valhenderson24@gmail.com in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2013, 12:10 PM
  2. Appendectomy
    By Mrutkowski18 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 07:40 AM
  3. Appendectomy help!!
    By maine4me in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 3