Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

one year work experience, so no one will hire me

Medical Coding Books
    I understand that as debt accumulates, it's harder to see the end of the rainbow. I'm living that dream. I realize that this is a touchy subject with many and I honestly do not mean to offend anyone. Everyone is different. I just know that I would be out talking to other coders, networking as they say. Going to the chapter meetings in your local area can help. Honestly, I don't even go to the meetings in my local area but I know that I constantly get emails about open positions. Some positions require 2 years experience, some prefer 2 years experience. Sometimes they just make you take a test. What I meant by suggesting starting out as a receptionist or any other position in a medical setting is that, once you build a work relationship and have those that will put in a good word for you, it can only get easier to find something. Once you're working in a medical setting, you get to hear about open positions within or outside of your company that you wouldn't have normally gotten the memo about, so to speak.

I'm not saying that everyone that is having problems finding work just aren't trying hard enough. That is DEFINITELY not the case. I just believe that, although it is easier to just give up, there is something within us that can make us refuse to buckle. If we can find it in ourselves to keep going when times seem tough, the rewards tend to outweigh the tribulations we had to go through.

My boyfriend always has called me an optimist!
    Last edited by ohn0disaster; 08-24-2010 at 11:22 AM.
    Vanessa Mier, CPC

2. Cool Difficult finding work
    I am so glad I logged on to this forum. I thought I was the only one having trouble finding work for even billing. I took a year long course for medical billing and coding and graduated with high marks. Also took the CPC exam and bummer have to retake it. Not an easy exam!!! Employers do want more yrs experience. I was told by my school I could use and count my one yr of schooling as experience. Big help that is.
    I'm currently signing up for volunteer work at my local hospital as well to get a foot in the door but gain some experience. Not exactly coding but its a start.
    Misery loves company but I hope we all find work in our field soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bettinadodd View Post
    Patience and optimism come easy when one is employed, but wear thin as debts exceed income. I don't think anyone expects the AAPC to guarantee them a job; however, I do feel the AAPC should share some accountability here. Right now, the market appears to be flooded with certified coders who can't find jobs due to lack of experience. And websites are flooded with advertisements coaxing people to take classes to become certified coders. The U.S. Department of Labor is telling us that the need for certified coders is expanding exponentially (refer to quote from them on my thread 'need for coders?') and that openings are going unfilled. What they are failing to note is that these unfilled positions require 3-5 years of prior experience. We entered this field because we were led to believe from supposedly credible sources that the need for coders was great and increasing, and that the job market was open to new coders with certification. If coding positions are going unfilled, why would any CPC or CPC-A expect to be pounding the pavement just to land a job answering phones and emptying trash? It's not that we feel reception and housekeeping are beneath us, but that we have been misled by sources that should have been trustworthy. And more are joining our ranks every day. Does not the AAPC have some responsibility to inform schools offering coding programs that they should at least advise prospective students who don't already have coding experience that they are likely to end up like so many of us?
    AAPC cannot be responsible for what a " school" tells it's prospective students. I can vouch that I worked for a college teaching non credit classes in ICD-9 and on the first night of class a student questioned me or should I say badgered me about what kind of salary she could earn and how she wanted to take the CPC exam after taking a basic med term, icd-9 and cpt class? I was upfront and honest with her and told her the truth, she was going to report me to the dean because I ruined her "vision" of what it would be like in the real world. You must remember these colleges, tech schools are there to get you to spend your money in their school, no one and I mean no one can guarantee you a job as a CPC. Maybe before signing on the dotted line you should querry recent graduates to find out their experiences since finishing school, I also think the school can provide you with that info as they do track placement for their students... Like another poster said the AAPC and other schools can provide you with the education you will need but cannot guarantee you a job. Our field is not the only field with this issue/problem/concern....

I was a medical biller up until this past July, I've been in the medical field for over 18 years and been certified since 2005 and I can honestly say that this position I have now is my first "real" coding job... I was able to utilize some of my coding skills while being a medical biller but to really use my coding skills and credentials on a daily regular basis without having to do the "billing" just happened for me. Although I wish it would have happened alot faster I'm glad it finally has, and I'm also thankful for the all the things I've learned along the way because of being a "biller" at heart for the past 18 years....

It doesn't happen overnight... some people catch a lucky break, or know someone within...
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

4. Default
    Thank you bettinadodd for your post. What you said is a very good point!!!!

I am RHIT and CPC licensed with medical billing, coding and auditing experience since 1995 and I can't even get a job. As it has been stated in previous posts, it is not AAPC or AHIMA's job to get us a job. That is for us to do, to learn how to market ourselves and have confidence in the credentials that we have to prove that we are as good as we think we are. Good Luck!

6. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by hopepg View Post
    Try to find work doing AR follow up, charge entry, receipt posting, medical records..... with a practice or billing company...then work from there learning that practice specialty or that billing company's clients.
    Then when you see job openings for coders where you currently work, you'd might be more than likely be 1st pick since you are already employed there.
    It might sound like the backwards way to do it, but that's what I did. I still work in AR follow up a little (which I love) but now I get to code for providers. I make sure things are in order before the claim goes out the door & have to work denials on the back end....when the info was right there in the record to begin with.
    Hang in there!
    Great advice! I think it is a help. Maybe taking a slight step back before going forward is key. Here in the Tampa Bay area jobs in coding are slim but billing seems to have a bit more (not by much) since I see them listed more in the online job postings. I am currently a coding student & work in an office as a biller. I have hope that it will allow me to get into a coding position down the road a bit when I am done with school. I sure hope my thoughts are correct. Billing is fine & all but I sure would like to expand my career I have always be lucky to have a door open for me... I use to be a medical assistant which then lead me to a referral coordinator then that lead me to a billing position & now I hope this will open a door to coding. So my advice is just keep pushing along, the more under your belt the more employers see you as a benefit to their company / practice. I agree HANG IN THERE

Default think positive...
    Quote Originally Posted by kimscoding View Post
    I am RHIT and CPC licensed with medical billing, coding and auditing experience since 1995 and I can't even get a job. As it has been stated in previous posts, it is not AAPC or AHIMA's job to get us a job. That is for us to do, to learn how to market ourselves and have confidence in the credentials that we have to prove that we are as good as we think we are. Good Luck!
    I"m glad your one of the ones who feel this way! It's refreshing to see that some of us don't blame AAPC for the bad economy we are experiencing... I wish you all the luck in finding that position!
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

8. Default
    I just call 'em as I see 'em! By the way, there are hundreds of jobs listed with MAXIM HIS (Health Information Services ?) for coders, depending on locale. If you're in Texas, New York, Connecticutt, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Illinois, Colorado, California, Washington, Arizona, Florida, West Virginia, Maryland, Georgia, Loiusiana, or just about anywhere but Virginia, like me, it might be worth checking out.

9. Smile
    I feel bad for the people who fell for the advertisements from deceptive "schools" that tell people that they can earn 50 grand a year working from home and all you have to do is pay them 20 grand and pass a little test. Nothing is ever that easy. My best advise to anyone who does enjoy coding but does not have the experiance to get a job is to work your way into a practice, clinic or hospital and then start trying to manuevre into a coding position. Most work from home companies will not hire anyone without a minimum of 3 years multi specialty experiance. I have worked for Maxim for over 5 1/2 years and believe me you need the experiance to be able to work from home. I do have a fantastic manager but I also have to figure a lot out on my own. Inexperienced coders would never make it in the remote world. There is just toooooooo much to know.
    Network with your local chapter and that may help you too. Best of luck.

The responsibilities lay with both instructors and students to discuss job market strategies. Generally, this requires that the students do their own research, find reliable sources and having instructors who are, themselves, certified coders with recent "real world" experience.

Given that most coding programs last between one and two years, finding time to initiate this discussion can be difficult. If this thread and the countless others on this forum aren't evidence enough, it is part of mentoring to provide guidance in the job search. This does not mean that instructors should need to find employment for students, but frame the conversation about the reality of the current job market, the history and what experts say about the future.

As a former (and hopefully future) instructor, my students knew that the first lecture of any class was to understand the job market a little better, grasp the credentials, gain working knowledge of how to become certified and what entry level jobs were available and of benefit to them in pursuit to be billers, coders, managers, instructors and so on.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast