Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

one year work experience, so no one will hire me

Default one year work experience, so no one will hire me
    Medical Coding Books
    I only have one year experience but I am certified, I am thinking I made a mistake to go into coding, because there are no jobs for entry level coders, any ideas????? Although I love coding I would hate to leave the field.
    Thanks for any feed back.

2. Default
    My thread is immediately above yours, and expresses some of the same concerns. Those who responded to me had some encouraging words which might be helpful to you as well. As there are simply no jobs within 100 miles of where I live, I am trying to get a volunteer position in a medical records unit of one of our local hospitals, hoping that this will be a useful way of networking. Everyone I have communicated with seems to think that networking is the key. Other than that, I am in complete sympathy with you. The distant bright light in all this seems to be that by 2013 all coders will need to be certified for ICD-10, and the demand for us will be realized then - for right now, though, my patience is running thin, too. Best of luck to you (if you don't live in central Virginia like me, there's still hope!)

I'm completing a Professional Medical Coding class at the end of August and have signed up to take the CPC exam in September. I live in western NH and am experiencing the same thing--employers want experienced coders. To gain coding experience, some of my classmates are volunteering. I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for you, but I can tell you there are lots of us in the same situation as you are... Everyone keeps telling me not to give up, to apply for anything I'm qualified for so I can "get my foot in the door".

Good luck!

Default Coding Jobs
    I hire coders with 6 months to 1 year experience. if you are in Dallas, TX email me your resume yl@healthcareclinics.com

Try to find work doing AR follow up, charge entry, receipt posting, medical records..... with a practice or billing company...then work from there learning that practice specialty or that billing company's clients.
    Then when you see job openings for coders where you currently work, you'd might be more than likely be 1st pick since you are already employed there.
    It might sound like the backwards way to do it, but that's what I did. I still work in AR follow up a little (which I love) but now I get to code for providers. I make sure things are in order before the claim goes out the door & have to work denials on the back end....when the info was right there in the record to begin with.
    Hang in there!

6. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelaRank View Post
    I became certified in April, past the test first time. I also have a college degree, but I do not have any experience working in the medical field. I am basically over educated and under qualified. I have been job hunting now for 3 months and no one will even give me an interview. I even went to a couple of temp agencies and they also want 2 years experience just to temp. I feel like I have been riped off by what I call "the coding scam." There is advertising everywhere to become a coder, "what a great job", when all they want is your money, they don't care about whether or not you are successful with actually becoming a coder. I blame AAPC, I blame companies not willing to hire entry level coders, and I blame the schools who offer these classes. Everyone is making money off of us, we got scamed by trying to make a better career for ourselves.
    There are A LOT of coders with college degrees. Nothing is easy in any field. Did you do research before going to school or did you assume all that was said to you was correct? It is not the job of AAPC nor future employers to give you a job. That is all up to you. Are you testing when you turn in your applications? I know most companies will require you pass their test before granting an interview. All I can tell you is network and take anything you can to get your foot in the door. I realize it is a catch 22. However, this is not a field that just anybody can do either.

Quote Originally Posted by eadun2000 View Post
    There are A LOT of coders with college degrees. Nothing is easy in any field. Did you do research before going to school or did you assume all that was said to you was correct? It is not the job of AAPC nor future employers to give you a job. That is all up to you. Are you testing when you turn in your applications? I know most companies will require you pass their test before granting an interview. All I can tell you is network and take anything you can to get your foot in the door. I realize it is a catch 22. However, this is not a field that just anybody can do either.
    Well stated eadun2000. When I get on these forums to network I am taken back by so many who think that AAPC is responsible for the job market and not being able to get a job. Nothing in life is guaranteed, I have 3 kids currently in college or techincal school and I've drilled it into them that it may not be easy getting that first job but not to give up. Can I go and blame the school? No- you need to research the market you want to get in, talk with others already within that field, look in the papers to see what employers are looking for? Are they looking for entry level or must you have so many years or experience? These are all questions that should be asked and found out prior to committing to spending the money? The way I see it no one "twisted your arm" to get into the coding field, you make that choice.

Please lets stop playing the "blame game"!!!
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

We hire coders!!!

Rapidly growing Medical Billing & Practice Management Company located in Tempe, Arizona seeks experienced professionals to join the billing, coding, & A/R management team. We ONLY employ certified coders for all charge entry so new applicants will have the opportunity to work right alongside other professional coders and have an opportunity to share/gain valuable knowledge and experience. Department Director is also a CPC! Perfect opportunity for a CPC-A to learn and grow but seasoned coders also have a great opportunity for upward mobility with supervisory, auditing, and management positions as well.

Competitive compensation package offered for desirable candidates. Health, Dental, and Vision plans available for full-time employees in addition to PTO, holiday pay, and fringe benefits.

Full-time Compensation Range: $12-$18/hour + 2 weeks PTO + Benefits

Email Resume to Careers@GoodHealthFinancial.Com

Exclamation just an opinion
    Originally Posted by AngelaRank
    I became certified in April, past the test first time. I also have a college degree, but I do not have any experience working in the medical field. I am basically over educated and under qualified. I have been job hunting now for 3 months and no one will even give me an interview. I even went to a couple of temp agencies and they also want 2 years experience just to temp. I feel like I have been riped off by what I call "the coding scam." There is advertising everywhere to become a coder, "what a great job", when all they want is your money, they don't care about whether or not you are successful with actually becoming a coder. I blame AAPC, I blame companies not willing to hire entry level coders, and I blame the schools who offer these classes. Everyone is making money off of us, we got scamed by trying to make a better career for ourselves.
    Not sure what happened to this post. AAPC moderators didn't like the trash talking, maybe? Should have left it up, whether it be Angela or the AAPC mods that took it down. I'm sure people would have had comments as to how much a bad attitude could deter employers from wanting to hire you. I see these posts all the time and I feel for all the coders finding it hard to find work right now. It's tough right now for anyone to get a job regardless of the profession. Honestly though, think about it this way. If you were in charge of hiring for a company, would you want to hire someone who would so easily give up on something of such importance because they encounter some hardships? I know I would not want to hire someone if I knew that their general outlook was like that of the above poster, Angela. In my opinion, 3 months is not that long and certainly doesn't warrant an AAPC against the coders conspiracy theory. The AAPC isn't here to hand jobs out. The AAPC is here to help you develop the skills needed and get the credentials to prove you have the skills needed to work in the coding/billing field. Where's the perseverance, people????

I agree with the numerous posts that I've seen advising all the new coders to get that foot in the door. I've been told all my life, it's a lot easier to get a job when you have a job than it is to find a job when you really need it. Some of the coders working for the company I work for started out as receptionists and medical records clerks. They made a living while they studied and took their exam. Once they passed, they tried for coding positions. There are doctors' offices and hospitals out there everywhere. There are other ways to get out there and find work but, the most important thing is, don't just give up.
    Vanessa Mier, CPC

10. Default
    Patience and optimism come easy when one is employed, but wear thin as debts exceed income. I don't think anyone expects the AAPC to guarantee them a job; however, I do feel the AAPC should share some accountability here. Right now, the market appears to be flooded with certified coders who can't find jobs due to lack of experience. And websites are flooded with advertisements coaxing people to take classes to become certified coders. The U.S. Department of Labor is telling us that the need for certified coders is expanding exponentially (refer to quote from them on my thread 'need for coders?') and that openings are going unfilled. What they are failing to note is that these unfilled positions require 3-5 years of prior experience. We entered this field because we were led to believe from supposedly credible sources that the need for coders was great and increasing, and that the job market was open to new coders with certification. If coding positions are going unfilled, why would any CPC or CPC-A expect to be pounding the pavement just to land a job answering phones and emptying trash? It's not that we feel reception and housekeeping are beneath us, but that we have been misled by sources that should have been trustworthy. And more are joining our ranks every day. Does not the AAPC have some responsibility to inform schools offering coding programs that they should at least advise prospective students who don't already have coding experience that they are likely to end up like so many of us?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast