Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Polyp w/screening colonoscopy

1. Question Polyp w/screening colonoscopy
    Medical Coding Books
    We have been using dx 211.3 for adenomatous polyps when found on screening colonoscopy. Recently, we have had several patients complain that if we had coded it V76.51 first and 211.3 second, their insurance would cover the charge under their preventative benefits. Although the procedure may have begun as a screening procedure, I believe the pathology should be medical. Can anyone direct me to any literature about this or tell me how they handle this situation? Thank you for your help.

2. Default
    Yes..i use v7651 first if documented as a sceening and then the finding such as 211.3

Yes the screening is always first when the purpose of the test is screening regardless of the findings. The coding guidelines state this as well.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

I'm sorry but the correct DX is 211.3 not the screening code. “The testing of a person to rule out or confirm a suspected diagnosis because the patient has some sign or symptom is a diagnostic examination, not a screening.” (ICD-9-CM 2008, pg. 71 or 74)

I agree tomtom, however the original post stated this was a screening colonoscopy wich is not diagnostic. The guidelines also specify that when the pupose is a screening exam the first listed code remains screening regardless of the findings or any subsequent procedure performed. So if it were screenng there is nothing suspected and there are no symptoms. That is essentially the difference between screening and diagnostic.

Guidance states that the attending physician should report the V-code as the primary diagnosis, that direction does not carry through to the pathologist. The pathologist received the polyp for diagnostic testing. Which I would then refer you to my last post regarding testing of a person to rule out or confirm a suspected diagnosis.

there are no separate diagnosis guidelines for the pathologist, it was still screening. The specimen was a result of a screening not a diagnostic.

Per Medicare - the principal diagnosis to report on pathology services (TC or PC) is the pathologist's diagnosis if one can be rendered. The pathologist made a definitive pathologic diagnosis of adenomatous polyps.

That is correct for diagnostic studies. This was screening not diagnostic.

10. Default
    Thank you for your input; I can see the views from both aspects. I have tried to find literature on this subject with no success. Can you direct me where I can find it--NCD, etc?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast