Silly question but need answer

Default Silly question but need answer
    Medical Coding Books
    Are everone suppose to be on EMR, at a certain deadline ?, The reason why I ask is because I work at an ASC, and so far there is no talk about it. My supervisor said it was to expensive to have. SO is there someting that shows we have to have it or not, please let me know for I can forward it to my supervisor. Thanks

I just read something on this in conjunction with the new 1510 electronic claims system, and I thought it said by oct 2012. I was just breezing thru some things on the net when I read it. I think it is dependent on number of employees or something. I will see if I can bring it up again.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

If you're interested, a free webinar is being presented on...Understanding the "Meaningful Use" Final Rule

http://view.email.cmpmedica-usa.com/...067e7c1479&r=0

thanks rebecca,

5. Default
    CMS has mandated use of 5010 transactions by Jan. 2012. However, this really is different from required use of EHRs.

You can learn more about EHR requirements at http://www.cms.gov/EHRIncentiveProgr....asp#TopOfPage

Eventually, Medicare/Medicaid will require a provider to use an EHR so that records can be shared with others and to improve quality of care. Eligible professionals can earn an incentive bonus for adopting early use of EHRs but eventually, those bonuses will end and providers will be required to adopt the technology anyhow.

Your clinic really needs to begin discussing this now. Keep in mind that no EHR system is certified yet, because the final regs just came out on certifying bodies, but things are moving along so that providers will be eligible for the bonus soon.
    Cyndee Weston, CPC, CMC, CMRS
    American Medical Billing Association
    www.ambanet.net/AMBA.htm
    AMBACode Coding Software
    http://www.ambacode.net
    2015 AMBA National Medical Billing Conference
    http://www.ambanet.net/2015.htm

6. Default
    My office recieves Part B News letters and their website is www.partbnews.com

In the July 19, 2010 Volume 24, Issue 28 it talks a lot about it. It states "you must demonstrate meaningful use of your EHR by 2014 or face the consequences". Looks like the biggest consequence is payments being cut. It says "Eligible physicians failing to meet standards will start to see Medicare payments cut in 2015." "Payments will be reduced by 1% in 2015, 2% in 2016" and so on.... It talks all about what "meaningful use" is and all that.

Hope this helps!

Amanda, CPC
    Urology coder

7. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaW View Post
    My office recieves Part B News letters and their website is www.partbnews.com

In the July 19, 2010 Volume 24, Issue 28 it talks a lot about it. It states "you must demonstrate meaningful use of your EHR by 2014 or face the consequences". Looks like the biggest consequence is payments being cut. It says "Eligible physicians failing to meet standards will start to see Medicare payments cut in 2015." "Payments will be reduced by 1% in 2015, 2% in 2016" and so on.... It talks all about what "meaningful use" is and all that.

Hope this helps!
    This is absolutely correct and you should start discussing this with your practice now because you have ICD-10 coming up as well. However, don't jump on an EMR just because you want to meet the deadline really do your research and narrow which EMR's work best for you specialty. Also, make sure you understand what impact an implementation will have on your practice because if not then it could really interrupt work flow. So, be prepared to have an implementation plan in place to make the transition easier. Hope this helps too...