Pessary Cleaning - I am new to OB/GYN coding

Question Pessary Cleaning - I am new to OB/GYN coding
    Medical Coding Books
    I am new to OB/GYN coding and need some help. I have a patient today who came in for an office visit due to postmenopausal bleeding. She was 89 y/o. Our doc removed her pessary which was in place to do his exam and then cleaned the pessary before reinsertion. How do I bill for this? He marked off 99213 & A4561 on the super bill.

Her noted diagnosis were vaginitis and postmenopausal bleeding (FYI), but I am kind of confused with why he marked off the A4561 if he didnt supply a new one?? One of the MA's stated we can bill for the cleaning, but I cant find any information on how to bill that out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

T.Cruz, CPC

2. Default
    there is no code for cleaning, you can only charge an E/M level.

Thank you! I really didnt believe so either.

If a patient comes into the office to have a pessary removed, cleansed, and reinserted, the appropriate evaluation and management code (99211-99215) should be reported, based on the key components performed (history, exam and medical decision making), as this considered part of the E&M service.

57160, Fitting and insertion of pessary or other intravaginal device is only reported on the initial fitting and insertion of the pessary. A new pessary would have to be refit for the patient and the physician would have to remeasure the patient and provide fitting of the new device.

Hope this helps,
    The Oracle

Wink
    Thank you!! It does.....