Are you asking about pre-procedure eval or pre-op surgery eval?
If he was called in for a consult and based on that consult he made the decision to do a procedure, then he can code a Consult E&M with mod -25 and the procedure CPT
But if he was called in to do a procedure he is expected to review the existing documentation and eval the patient's status prior to doing the procedure. He can code the CPT only.
He can not code an E&M with the procedure unless the patient's status has changed (since the other provider's evaluation and decision for procedure) and it is medically necessary to re-evaluate the patient before proceeding with the procedure.
Example: pt eval'd and decision for heart cath made that morning. Your Doc is called in to do the cath that afternoon. He gets the cath CPT only unless the patient says "hey I have been having pretty bad chest pain for the last hour" and it is medically necessary to re-evaluate the pt's condition before preceeding with the cath
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join