AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Prental patient sent to hospital for monitoring

Default Prental patient sent to hospital for monitoring

AAPC: Back to School
    What E/M code do you use when a patient is sent to L&D for monitoring or for threatened labor and the doctor goes to see them and discharges them home? We are having difference of opinion in the office.

I use observation days codes (99234-99236). These are for less than a 24 hrs stay in the hospital.

The informations are insufficient I think. Was she sent to ED/ER? The message I get from Vpaceley is , it seems the doctor there in hospital ' has seen the patient and sent home'. It does not give information whether the patient was kept in monitor to rule out 'in labor'(to code for observation Service). or just a E&M provided in the ER and being 'not in labor by examination sent home? Was she monitored in labor triage/ suite? How many hours was she there?
    thank you

Was the patient admitted? If the patient was admitted to the hospital to rule out preterm labor I use the observation codes if less than 24 hours also
    Barbara Liimatta-CPC

Similar Threads

1. Monitoring Patient
    By lao1960 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-16-2014, 01:27 PM
  2. Hospital services/new patient
    By astough in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2013, 07:55 AM
  3. In-patient Psychiatric Hospital
    By nonadianne in forum E/M