AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Procedure found during another procedure

Temple, TX

Default Procedure found during another procedure

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a provider who has on several occasions found he has to perform another procedure while also performing the procedure he went in to perform.

My procedure has performed CPT 43770- Laparoscopy, surgical, gastric restrictive procedure; placement of adjustable gastric restrictive device (eg, gastric band and subcutaneous port components). While performing this procedure he stumbled across a hiatal hernia that needed to be repaired and performed the repair of the hiatal hernia (laparascopically).

Would it be appropriate to bill 43281 or 43282 (depending on if mesh is used) with 43770? These codes do not bundle but the stumbled across procedure has higher RVU's. I know usually you would bill in RVU order, but would that apply in this case?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Yes, I believe when I used to code these I billed for both procedures.

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2014, 07:38 AM
  2. Procedure found during another procedure
    By hpatzke in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2010, 09:31 AM
  3. Procedure for Excision of ganglion cyst, none found.
    By MSCPCNG in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 04:59 PM
  4. coding off from a hand written procedure from the procedure doctor
    By vsmith in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 09:06 AM