AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Preoperative H & P

Default Preoperative H & P

AAPC: Back to School
    Can you bill for a preoperative H & P that is performed by the surgeon performing the surgery regardless of the global period.

I recently read an article that states if the patient is seen for an H & P by the surgeon this is considered part of the global and should not be billed regardless of when the visit is performed.

My doctor's normally sees the patient at least a week before the surgery for their H &P. In the past, I was billing an E & M

For me, it is a codable service. Global period begins 1 day prior to the surgery so he is outside global.

North Carolina

This subject is always debatable and I would err on the side of caution. There is a CPT Assistant that suggests otherwise...

CPT Assistant-May 2009

"If the surgeon sees a patient and makes a decision for surgery and then the patient returns for a visit where the intent of the visit is the preoperative H&P, and this service occurs in the interval between the decision-making visit and the day of surgery, regardless of when the visit occurs (1 day, 3 days, or 2 weeks), the visit is not separately billable as it is included in the surgical package"

Similar Threads

1. Preoperative visit
    By lak_15 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 12:16 PM
  2. Preoperative H&P
    By Bilodeau in forum E/M
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 05:13 PM
  3. Preoperative H&P Exam by NP or PA
    By obrien44 in forum Outpatient Facilities
    Replies: 0