Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

employment listings for coders

1. Talking employment listings for coders
    Exam Training Packages
    There appear to be lots of coding positions listed with Maxim Health Information Services - inpatient, outpatient, remote, consulting, you name it. Not all states have listings, but many have several. Might be of help to some of you out there.

2. Default Cpc-a
    If you are a CPC-A then don't even try it. I have been trying to break into the coding field as well. I have a vast knowledge of medical terminology, billing and a BA in Health Information Management. Still no luck for new coders....

I wonder what good is it to spend all the money and you can't benefit from the certification with the A on the end of your credentials.

3. Cool To Vietk
    Hi there

I noticed that Humana wants to hire coders who have your background. They need someone who has the med terms, billing, and BA in HIT. Go to Humana.com and try. They have locations in all the states.

Good Luck

Emmie Gouvisis

Please keep in mind, that places like Maxim may advertise for Coding Jobs, but that doesnt nessesarly mean they have jobs when they hire you. I've seen many run into this problem when they apply for positions like that.
    Just be carefull out there !

Quote Originally Posted by vietk View Post
    If you are a CPC-A then don't even try it. I have been trying to break into the coding field as well. I have a vast knowledge of medical terminology, billing and a BA in Health Information Management. Still no luck for new coders....

I wonder what good is it to spend all the money and you can't benefit from the certification with the A on the end of your credentials.
    I've noticed a trend here where people are complaining about how the A is what is holding them back.

I've been coding for two years now, could have dropped my A last year but didn't and have been lagging at getting my paper work completed to get my A dropped now that I've done my two years.

I think the new money making scheme the AAPC is offering where people pay to drop the A is a racket that is fueled by the type of attitude quoted.

I'm not putting you down and I'm sure it is frustrating for many of you. But I also don't believe that spending money to drop the A is going to change a basic lack of experience. If employers aren't looking at your credential and education as being enough experience, taking another test isn't going to compensate for that.
    Last edited by cosita; 10-11-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cosita View Post
    I've noticed a trend here where people are complaining about how the A is what is holding them back.

I've been coding for two years now, could have dropped my A last year but didn't and have been lagging at getting my paper work completed to get my A dropped now that I've done my two years.

I think the new money making scheme the AAPC is offering where people pay to drop the A is a racket. That is fueled by the type of attitude quoted.

I'm not putting you down and I'm sure it is frustrating for many of you. But I also don't believe that spending money to drop the A is going to change a basic lake of experience. If employers aren't looking at your credential and education as being enough experience, taking another test isn't going to compensate for that.
    Great post cosita!

I am so tired of getting on this forum and hear people complaining and with bad attitudes! This forum was not meant to bash AAPC, no one forced any of us to take the exam or become coders, we chose that on our own! There are plenty of people out there not only in the coding field but many others who are having the same struggles.

Do some of you or any of you even realize that hiring managers do get on this forum and if they see your negative attitudes in your posts do you think for 1 minute that they would even "think" about hiring you, much less granting you an interview?
    Last edited by rthames052006; 10-11-2010 at 06:28 AM.
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Default rthames...
    It's not a bad attitude...it's frustration. It's a total Catch-22. How do you get experience that they want us to have? That's the problem.

I think we want management that will give us a chance. Just because we're not as experienced as you, doesn't mean that we aren't good workers or don't know as much as you do. I think you need to read deeper.

You take a job in a mailroom...or doing follow-up. You get a foot in the door first. That is how you do it.
    You forget about "Coding from Home" until you get the experience. It ain't gonna happen so just put that idea on the back burner for a while.
    Want to code in a hospital? Take a job doing patient registration first.
    Put the time and effort in and you will be rewarded.
    Buy a certification and think you're going right to the head of the class.....Sorry, unrealistic.

Bravo Oceanlivin! I have told many people this same thing. It is not your lack of knowledge that is keeping you from getting the job. It may not even be the lack of experience, it is probably that the employer wants to see a commitment to the field. To be a good coder or even a biller it is very important to have experience in all the other areas of the process as well. It is the same in every field, you must take the lesser positions and work your way up, but you will be better for it in the long run. As far as the AAPC goes, I do not think we could be part of a better organization. I have been a member of many different organizations in the past and not one of them measures up to the AAPC. Will they find you a job? No! But then again that is not their function. Do not be unrealistic with your expectations. Good luck with your job search.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Quote Originally Posted by msweeney76 View Post
    It's not a bad attitude...it's frustration. It's a total Catch-22. How do you get experience that they want us to have? That's the problem.

I think we want management that will give us a chance. Just because we're not as experienced as you, doesn't mean that we aren't good workers or don't know as much as you do. I think you need to read deeper.

These types of posts have been repeated to death in this forum. I don't think that a bad attitude is to blame for EVERYONE posting their concerns BUT I do see a lot of bad attitudes. How do we get the experience they want us to have? Well, again, the answer to this question has been repeated to death in this forum! I completely agree with the poster that said that there are people in charge of hiring that frequent this forum. I constantly see people ranting out their woes, pointing fingers of blame, and saying that they are about to give up. Seriously, would you want to hire someone like that? I wouldn't want to chance hiring someone that so easily would give up on something that they've worked towards. Again, I know that not everyone posting their concerns on the AAPC forums are doing so in a negative fashion. This post is directed solely towards those that are. I understand that job searching is frustrating. I just think that some people should put more thought into what they put out there for the public to read. You never know who may be reading!

I, honestly, wish you all the best of luck. If you keep at it, stay positive, and work hard towards your goal, you will get there! Goonies never say die!
    Vanessa Mier, CPC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast