I am just taking over a rehab doctors billing so I am trying to make sure I am coding things correctly. I just learned that there is a seperate pos for inpatient rehab unit 61. But I am a little confused on how to bill for the E & M services. Our doctor does a consult on the patient while they are on the acute care unit (pos 21) since we no longer can bill for consult codes under Medicare I have been billing 99221-99223. But then he also is the the admitting physician to the rehab unit and dictates an H&P.
Scenario my doctor did a initial work up(consult) on 8/30/2010 (code 99222) the patient discharged from acute care on 8/31/2010 by another dr. and admitted to rehab unit by my physician on 8/31/2010 where is dictates an H&P. My question is can he bill another initial inpatient code (99221-99223)on 8/31/2010 under Medicare rules or would he have to bill a higher hosp f/u visit 99231-99233?
If there is any one who can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join