Thread: Inpatient rehab coding

Question Inpatient rehab coding

Promo: Code Books
    I am just taking over a rehab doctors billing so I am trying to make sure I am coding things correctly. I just learned that there is a seperate pos for inpatient rehab unit 61. But I am a little confused on how to bill for the E & M services. Our doctor does a consult on the patient while they are on the acute care unit (pos 21) since we no longer can bill for consult codes under Medicare I have been billing 99221-99223. But then he also is the the admitting physician to the rehab unit and dictates an H&P.

Scenario my doctor did a initial work up(consult) on 8/30/2010 (code 99222) the patient discharged from acute care on 8/31/2010 by another dr. and admitted to rehab unit by my physician on 8/31/2010 where is dictates an H&P. My question is can he bill another initial inpatient code (99221-99223)on 8/31/2010 under Medicare rules or would he have to bill a higher hosp f/u visit 99231-99233?
    If there is any one who can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Red face

I recently had this issue come up myself, I researched it and spoke with a outside consultant, it was determined that since you have 2 different places of service (21, 61) this would be ok.....you will need to split the claims.....1 claim for the acute care part (pos 21) and 1 claim for the inpatient rehab part (pos 61)....you will need to use the inpatient cpt codes since both of these pos is considered inpatient.

Similar Threads

1. Inpatient came to PCP during rehab stay
    By HeatherM in forum Outpatient Facilities
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 02:23 PM
  2. inpatient rehab facility coding
    By kasey01 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 11:11 AM
  3. Inpatient Rehab Visits
    By crust in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1