AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Definition for 45990??

Default Definition for 45990??

AAPC: Back to School
    Can someone help me define code 45990? The CPT book does not give a good description however my 'Coders Desk Reference' gives a more defined description but there is still a grey area.

The physician performs a diagnostic anorectal exam. The patient is placed under general, spinal or epidural anesthesia. The physician examines the external perineal area. A pelvic examination is performed when appropriate. A digital rectal exam is performed. An anoscope is inserted into the rectum. The anal canal and distal rectum are visualized. The anoscope is removed and a rigid proctosigmoidoscope is inserted into the anus and advanced. The sigmoid colon and rectal lumen are visualized. The proctosigmoidoscope is removed.

Here is where I need clarification - Do ALL components of this description need to be performed in order to correctly bill for this procedure? Thank you for any and all help.

Valarie, CPC

This is a diagnostic anorectal exam. It is just telling you that if the listed procedures are performed, they are considered a component of 45990. I hope this helps.

Cheryl CPC

Similar Threads

1. 45990 Exam Under Anesthesia ???
    By hedmiston in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2015, 08:23 AM
  2. 45990 digital rectal exam
    By martnel in forum Gastroenterology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2013, 10:13 AM
  3. 45990 vs 46660 for perineal abscess billed by Urologist
    By dsproveri in forum General Surgery