According to CPT, to bill a 99239 the doctor must document that they spent over 30 minutes in discharging the patient. This would include examining the pt, discussion of the stay, instructions for continuing care to any caregivers and prep of discharge records, rx and referrals - which must be documented. Would this doctor have spent that much time in pronouncing this patient? If the time is not documented, then the code would be 99238.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join