The correct coding for "Hypertensive crisis" is 401.9. Also, I found some additional information that may come in handy for those that need clarification in the future.
***Hypertension with no identifiable cause is called essential or primary hypertension and is the most common type of hypertension. Secondary hypertension is hypertension resulting from an underlying condition. Hypertension not otherwise specified is assigned to ICD-9-CM code 401.9. A mild, nonmalignant form of hypertension is termed benign hypertension (401.1). Malignant hypertension (also documented as accelerated hypertension) is a severe life-threatening form of hypertension with a diastolic pressure measuring above 120 millimeters of mercury and is classified to code 401.0.
A code for benign or malignant hypertension should not be assigned unless the physician documents the specific type in the body of the medical record. Documentation of hypertensive crisis or uncontrolled hypertension is not indicative of malignant hypertension. Without further clarification, assign code 401.9 for a diagnosis of hypertensive crisis or uncontrolled hypertension.***
Hope this is of help to you!
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Code Lookup with AAPC Coder
- Coding Data Files
- ICD-9 to ICD-10 Code Converter (FREE)
- Other ICD-10 Codes / Resources
- CPT Codes
- HCPCS Codes
- E/M Analyzer (FREE)
- CPT RVU Calculator (FREE)
- Risk Adjustment Search (FREE)
- PQRS Measure Search (FREE)
- Health Plan / Provider Policy Search (FREE)
- MACRA Calculator
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join