Thread: Knee injection while in a global period

Default Knee injection while in a global period

Can anybody direct me to some information regarding not billing for an injection while in the post op period if the need for injection is related to the surgery? Thnaks

Default Confused by the question

I don't agree that a medical necessary injection (or any other procedure) would not be billable even in a global period. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question.

A hospital is not allowed to bill for routine injections or medications related to a surgery during the performance of or recovery from the surgery, but this is different than a global period.

I'm sure you are familiar with the modifiers available to describe services rendered during periods that may or may not be related to a surgery (58, 76, 77, 78, 79).

Again, I think I am confused by your question so my post could be totally unrelated to your situation, and I do apologize if that's the case.
    Freda Brinson, CPC, CPC-H, CEMC
    2014 President AAPC Swainsboro, GA Chapter
    Past President - 2012, 2008; Past Vice President - 2013, Past Education Officer - 2009 of Savannah, GA Chapter
    Past Member AAPCCA Board of Directors (2009-2012)
    brinsonfr@sjchs.org

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 12:19 PM
  2. How to determine global period with 2 procedures/2 different global periods
    By AHVC in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 11:37 AM
  3. Global Period
    By knperry in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 09:37 AM
  4. injection during global period
    By jsusanweaver@yahoo.com in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 12:28 PM
  5. Knee Arthroscopy during post op period