I have 12 years of podiatry coding experience. The code you will be utilizing is 28119 (Ostectomy, calcaneus; for spur, with or without plantar fascial release). 28008 (Fasciotomy, foot and/or toe) is a component of 28119 therefore not billable. Let me explain: Spur formation is an indication that there is too much tension being placed on the plantar fascia which originates at the calcaneous. The plantar fascia might have torn away from the bone causing the patient pain. Due to this strain/sprain the body creates more bone in an effort to stabilize the area, an accomodative response to the plantar fascial stress.
When the physician performs a 28119 he has to cut away some of the plantar fascia 28008 to get at the spur to rasp it smooth.
I hope that I have been helpful to you.
Lisa Brodner, R.N., CPC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join