Read Appendix A of the CPT book which describes all the modifiers.
NOTE: Medicare will not pay for any visits during a global period, including ER or hospital admission. Not even for complications. Medicare will cover returns to the OR for additional procedures but not E/M codes.
Some Medicaid or commercial carriers may cover visits for services "unrelated" to the procedure. We have had some success using the -24 modifier for such cases in the past, but more and more carriers are following CMS.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join