AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Can x 1

Alexandria VA/Orlando FL

Question Can x 1

AAPC: Back to School
    Hi out there!!

Was wondering if any "more experienced OB/GYN Coder" could please explain a few things to me.....

With delivery reports, when the MD reports CAN X1 (cord around neck), if it only is times 1 is this still considered a complication which should be reported? What code would I be using for that?

And what is the difference between CAN X1 or CAN X2??? Does this mean how many times the cord is wrapped around the infant's neck? I am really confused, so I need all the help I can get to make sure I am coding correctly.

T.Cruz, CPC

Terre Haute, IN

Cord around the Neck can be coded, but only on the baby's Chart not the mothers.

Other compression of umbilical cord 762.5
    Includes the following
    Cord around neck , Entanglement of Cord, Knot in Cord, Torsion of cord

Alexandria VA/Orlando FL

So if the cord entanglement was the reason for the c-section, I still cannot use that on the charge for the delivery?

I just want to be certain that I get this.....

T.Cruz, CPC