Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Question re: local Chapter emails

Medical Coding Books
    I have e-mails from our Rochester president, Mike Doyle and I can tell they are sent BCC because the TO is Mike Doyle ... this indicates to me that the sender sent it to himself and everyone else is in the BCC field.

The only thing about creating a Group (in outlook) is that there is a + sign that you can click and that shows the names of everyone who the e-mail was sent to. We use distribution lists at work and there is always a + sign that you can open and see everyone else that got that same e-mail.

But I can understand how the original poster feels because there are bad things about not using the BCC field - all those other 300 people now have 300 "new" e-mail addresses. That opens you up to unsolicited jokes, e-mails about religion and politics, and anyone who hits reply to all rather than just reply!!
    You never know who you are sending an e-mail to and any of those people who may not want others to have their e-mail address. You never know who is paying attention to the recipients list and "stealing" e-mail addresses - I hate to think people have hidden agendas, but you never know in these days of mailing lists and e-mail addresses and phone numbers being sold to companies for sales reasons.

I get a lot of junk mail from various coding "schools" and I am sure that they have purchased or obtained my address in a sneaky manner - because targeted mail like that means that the sender somehow knows your career path - and how else would they have got that info?
    A. Judd

2013 President, Flower City Professional Coders
    2012 Vice President, Flower City Coders local Chapter
    2011 Member Development Officer, local chapter

"You cannot truly listen to anyone and do anything else at the same time." M. Scott Peck

I have a related question regarding Local Chapter emails. I receive too many emails from my locacl chapter and the AAPC referring to the same event. Apparently they are sent from National and then again from the local chapter. It's only necessary to send me one announcement. I either put it on my calendar or delete it. Is there a way to reduce these emails?

Default New Chapter Member
    I recently chose the Loveland Chapter to join and emailed requesting date/time/location for the next meeting. Unfortunately, I have not received a reply. I am working on getting my CPC, do you have to complete the exam before you can attend meetings?

You don't even have to be a member to attend meetings. Maybe they have the meeting information on the AAPC website? Hopefully someone will get back to you so you don't miss them.

We open our meetings up to anyone that wants to attend in the hopes that they become a member. As New Member Development Officer, I send out emails to our chapter members but chapter meeting reminders is one that I don't have to because we have the website do it for us. No need for me to duplicate that and fill up in-boxes. I have also created a "distribution list" with the name of our local chapter and it only contains my email address. That is who I send emails to and all the members are blind copied.
    Pam Tienter, CPC, COC, CPC-P, CCS-P, CPMA, CPC-I, AAPC Fellow
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer
    AAPC National ICD-10-CM Trainer

FYI...I believe there is a short blurb in the Local Chapter Handbook about blind copying when you are mass mailing chapter members. It is recommended. Our chapter officers began blind copying last summer.

The blind copy instructions are not a "one size fits all" for every Internet Service Provider (ISP) email. On my AOL, for example, I have no BCC available so I have to put parenthesis around the entire list of names in order to blind copy. Click on the email help button of your particular ISP to find out how to blind copy.

Also, it would not be advisable to include non-chapter members in your member email grouping. Try creating a separate "group" or "distribution list" for non-members.
    Susan M. Garrett, CPC, COC
    Past President El Paso Texas Chapter AAPC
    Past Member AAPCCA Board of Directors
    cell 915-204-8333

tonamoore,

No you do not have to be a member to attend your local chapter meetings. The meetings are to educated and inform us on the changes that are going on in our changing, growing field.

If you have any further questions, I can be reached at astrong27@yahoo.com.

Sincerely,
    Ange'l Strong
    President, 2009
    Sacramento Chapter

Default Blind Copy!
    Susan Ward,

Can the Blind Copy also work on using Yahoo email?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Ange'l Strong
    President, 2009
    Sacramento Chapter

Default Attending Chapter Meetings for non-AAPC members
    Just a little more info regarding the comment of not needing to be a member of AAPC to attend chapter meetings; there is a limit of three times a visitor or guest can attend a chapter meeting without joining. Prior to the fourth attendance, the visitor would need to join AAPC.

This information can be found in the Local Chapter 2009 Handbook, Chapter 7, bullet 1. "Non-AAPC members may attend up to three local chapter meetings before becoming a member of the AAPC".

Thanks,
    Freda Brinson
    Savannah, GA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12