Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question re: local Chapter emails

Question Question re: local Chapter emails
    Exam Training Packages
    Ok, I have a very frustrating situation, and I don't know where else to post this.

I recently passed my exam(yay) and I selected my "local" chapter. Now, I'm getting emails from the secretary with chapter info and events. The emails are coming through without the recipients being blind carbon copied in any way. So, when I access them from work through webmail, I see 20feet of names and email addresses before I get to the 1 sentence email. My personal email address(and everyone else's) is visible to the other 300 recipients on that list.

I've tried emailing the sender of these emails to point this out and request that they fix this, but received another email with no change. I emailed again and explained what I'm seeing and why this is a problem and how she can fix it, but she insists that that's not how they sent the email, and she doesn't know why it's a problem and I should let them know if I want to be removed from their list.

So. How do I get through to this person? I am frustrated, because I WANT the communication, but I want them to be professional and non-invasive and right now, they are very invasive when sent this way, and this is not the professional way to generate a mailing list communication, but she thinks I'm being difficult.

Anyone have any suggestions?? I don't want to be a whiner, but I've also been getting a lot of excess spam at that email address, and I don't want to be open to getting more, like this.

-Denise L. Laudenberger, CPC

It could be that it may be as simple as she does not know how to blind copy recipients. However, this in no way opens you up to spam. She is quite simply sending you an email regarding a chapter event, if you contact me privately I will see if I can help you.
    Rhonda Buckholtz, CPC, CPC-I, CGSC, COBGC, CEPDC, CENTC
    Vice President, ICD-10
    AAPC
    800-626-2633 ext 183
    814-673-7177
    Fax: 814-217-0447
    rhonda.buckholtz@aapc.com

3. Default
    does anyone know how to blind copy recipients when sending emails. I will soon be sending out my chapters email and have not always liked my email address showing and would like to correct this when I start doing the emails.

Default Blind Copy Emails
    Actually it is quite easy to send blind copy emails. I do it for everything I send out including funny emails I receive.

When you are putting your email address in to send out your should see the following areas to put the names in:
    To:
    CC:
    BCC:

If you put everyones email in the BCC you are sending your email out without others seeing who you sent it to. I use Outlook and it is very easy.

Hope that helps. Have a great day!
    Susan Ward, CPC, COC, CPC-I, CEMC, CPCD, CPRC
    AAPC ICD-10 Expert Trainer
    susanwardcpc@live.com

A small act of kindness a day can make someone's day special

What a great idea! I have never thought about that. As our Burlington Vermont local chapter president, I often send emails. Nobody has ever brought this issue to my attention. But I can see your point.

I will be blind copying members from now on.

Thank you for bringing this up!
    Dawn

I'd be tempted to email everyone on that email list and ask they complain as well. Once 300 members are complaining, she'll fix it.

Becki

Default Tip for officers
    You should also try to get your officers to set up the announcement through the AAPC website on your local page. It's awesome. Once it's on there you can chose when it sends it automatically to all your members, without the garbage of 100 addresses. The only problem is that it will not send it to people who are members of other chapters who might want to attend your event, so your secretary may want to maintain a short list of those. As the secretary of my local chapter, I don't even bother to send an anouncement until I get the automated one!

8. Default
    You can also (at least in outlook) make a group so it is just named AAPC Chapter ________and then select members for that group. That way not everyone's name is shown.

Default Bcc In Email
    Depending on the email software that you use, the BCC field may or may not already be there. You may have to select view and chose BCC.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    Actually it is quite easy to send blind copy emails. I do it for everything I send out including funny emails I receive.

When you are putting your email address in to send out your should see the following areas to put the names in:
    To:
    CC:
    BCC:

If you put everyones email in the BCC you are sending your email out without others seeing who you sent it to. I use Outlook and it is very easy.

Hope that helps. Have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by shastadazy View Post
    Ok, I have a very frustrating situation, and I don't know where else to post this.

I recently passed my exam(yay) and I selected my "local" chapter. Now, I'm getting emails from the secretary with chapter info and events. The emails are coming through without the recipients being blind carbon copied in any way. So, when I access them from work through webmail, I see 20feet of names and email addresses before I get to the 1 sentence email. My personal email address(and everyone else's) is visible to the other 300 recipients on that list.

I've tried emailing the sender of these emails to point this out and request that they fix this, but received another email with no change. I emailed again and explained what I'm seeing and why this is a problem and how she can fix it, but she insists that that's not how they sent the email, and she doesn't know why it's a problem and I should let them know if I want to be removed from their list.

So. How do I get through to this person? I am frustrated, because I WANT the communication, but I want them to be professional and non-invasive and right now, they are very invasive when sent this way, and this is not the professional way to generate a mailing list communication, but she thinks I'm being difficult.

Anyone have any suggestions?? I don't want to be a whiner, but I've also been getting a lot of excess spam at that email address, and I don't want to be open to getting more, like this.

-Denise L. Laudenberger, CPC
    congratulations on passing your test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast