AAPC - Back to school

Thread: modifier -78 or corrected claim with -51???

Default modifier -78 or corrected claim with -51???

AAPC: Back to School
    We have a patient that had a carotid endartectomy and later that day developed a hemorrhage and had to be taken back to the OR and had the wound explored. I billed the exploration w a -78 on a separate claim. However Medicare denied of course because they didnt like the modifier and my ofc mgr is saying we should have filed a corrected claim on our original claim and used a -51 instead of a -78.
    I guess I was thinking that since it was a separate session that warranted a separate claim. Should I be billing this way or if a patient has two different surgeries in one day do they need to be on the same claim??
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Mary Beth Gord, CPC

Default Billing mod-78 was appropriate

When a complication occurs on the same day, the mod -78 charge should be billed on the same claim. When billed on separate claims, there is risk of a denial in the event that the "complication" claim gets processed before the first/original procedure. When this occurs, the claims processing system has not picked up the first procedure. Therefore, denying the mod-78 claim as "invalid modifier."

PTaylor, CPC

Similar Threads

1. 25 modifier on an E&M code alone on a claim
    By venetiaroy in forum Internal Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2012, 01:09 PM
  2. Do I need to submit a corrected claim for this?
    By valeriemengis in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2012, 07:25 PM
  3. when to file corrected claim?
    By emetayer in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 12:34 PM
  4. Corrected claim
    By coder_girl in forum Internal Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-03-2009, 10:30 AM