Stents

1. Default Stents
    Medical Coding Books
    Dictation for stents

A series of stents were then placed in the proximal and mid LIMA, initially a 2.5X18-mm LIMA and then proximal to that a 2.5X23 LIMA, and ultimately a 2.5X23-mm LIMA from the ostium overlapping with the 2nd stent palced, then a 2.5X18-mm Xience drug-eluting stents were placed - I am reading 4 stents, can anyone confirm and help with the modifiers

Quote Originally Posted by armymomryan View Post
    Dictation for stents

A series of stents were then placed in the proximal and mid LIMA, initially a 2.5X18-mm LIMA and then proximal to that a 2.5X23 LIMA, and ultimately a 2.5X23-mm LIMA from the ostium overlapping with the 2nd stent palced, then a 2.5X18-mm Xience drug-eluting stents were placed - I am reading 4 stents, can anyone confirm and help with the modifiers
    The number of stents is irrelevant, it is only the vessel(s) stented that matters, in this case the LIMA. You can however append modifier 22 (increased procedural services ie complex) to the code for the stent due to the considerable work involved.

My question however is: Was the LIMA part of a coronary graft? If so, to what coronary artery was it grafted? The answer to that questions determines whether the code should be 92980 or 37205/75960. I will add that I have never seen the LIMA stented unless it was grafted to a coronary artery.

HTH
    Danny L. Peoples
    CIRCC,CPC

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by armymomryan View Post
    Dictation for stents

I agree with Danny. In my LCD, Medicare states that if four or more stents are placed in a single vessel (this is following coronary guidelines) then it would be considered an "unusual procedural service" and eligible for additional reimbursement equivalent to that of an additional vessel treated. To show this, you add the Mod -22 and include a procedure note in box 19 of the HCFA stating how many stents were placed.