Vein Harvesting w CABG

Question Vein Harvesting w CABG
    Exam Training Packages
    Per the CPT book, when performing a Coronary Artery Bypass using arterial graft you should not include the lower extremity vein harvesting. However, per the CCI edits I have challenged this against, it is not bundled and can be reported separately with an endoscopic approach.

Help! Not sure if I can bill these together. What I have is 33533 (primary) 33519 and 33508

Words of advice?

Quote Originally Posted by tpsquish View Post
    Per the CPT book, when performing a Coronary Artery Bypass using arterial graft you should not include the lower extremity vein harvesting. However, per the CCI edits I have challenged this against, it is not bundled and can be reported separately with an endoscopic approach.

Help! Not sure if I can bill these together. What I have is 33533 (primary) 33519 and 33508

Words of advice?
    I believe this is correct that is the way I bill it
    Last edited by CRC CPC; 09-17-2010 at 01:20 PM.
    CRC CPC

You are not actually billing for harvesting the vein, you are billing for using endoscopic equipment. As long as that is the way they did the harvest you are correct in billing that.

Where did they get the artery? If it is from an upper extremity you can bill for that harvest, 35600.

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC

Harvested from lower extemity (leg) and yes he does state "with the use of the endoscopic technique". Thank you all for your help.

Similar Threads

1. Radial artery harvesting for CABG
    By mshaw530 in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2015, 01:38 PM
  2. Endoscopic Harvesting of the Vein 33508
    By R1CPC in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2015, 09:40 PM
  3. Coding for harvesting saph vein during CABG
    By lydiachitwood in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic
    Replies: 3