It is not stated in CPT (unfortunately) but per CMS and many other insurance policies, the stay must be greater than 8 hours. If the patient is in outpatient obs for less than 8 hours we use 99213-99215 based on documentation. I have never had an inpatient obs less than 8 hours...pretty sure the hospitals UR committee would want the inpatient status on that changed to outpatient.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join