AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Procedure goes into the next day

Default Procedure goes into the next day

AAPC: Back to School
    My surgeon performed a procedure on 09/14/10 at 11:25 pm. The procedure ends at 2:25am on the 15th. My surgeon dictated the operative note with a date of service of 09/14/10. I told him that this was incorrect the correct date of service should be 09/15/10 as this is the date the procedure ended. He said that was untrue and that I would need to show him something in writing before he did an addendum to this operative report.
    Does anyone have anything I can refer him to?

I'm sorry that I have no reference for you. When this has happens for my providers, I enter the date of service as the date the procedure was scheduled and begun.

I have run into this several times and never was able to find source on it either. People I spoke with on the phone from the insurance company didn't seemed concerned that the procedure continued into the next day.

I have many times billed with the start date, no mention of ending times, and never had a problem.

Similar Threads

1. E/M and procedure on the same day
    By satchellt@healthintegrity.org in forum E/M
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2015, 02:24 PM
  2. Procedure on the same day...
    By nclb85 in forum Interventional Radiology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2013, 07:11 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2013, 06:48 AM
  4. Help with ov and procedure on the same day