Per WPSMedicare, yes. If there is no chief complaint there is no reason for the visit and no medical necessity so it is not a billable service.
This is something we struggle with in my IM/FP inpatients. I keep harping on them that they have to give me a reason every day. It doesn't have to be extensive, F/U HTN, is fine. But it has to be there everyday. I agree it seems repetitive when the patients are in for weeks at a time but I can see why it is required.
Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join