AAPC - Back to school

Thread: LCD Guidelines for J3420 -- UNITS

Houston, Texas

Exclamation LCD Guidelines for J3420 -- UNITS

AAPC: Back to School
    I am having a lot of problems lately getting J3420 paid. Here's how we'll bill it:

J3420 x2 units

Medicare keeps giving us a rejection of CO151. I finally got some info out of a Medicare rep that it has to do with the Units billed. I noticed that when we bill J3420 x1 unit.. it gets paid. We're billing the correct DX code too. I checked LCD for that. 281.0. BUT, the LCD doesn't give me anymore information than that on really how many units the pt can receive. I've read on a coding site one time say limit is once per month...I get that...need info on the UNITS.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS? If anyone has a link to anything that can tell me Units that is allowed and so forth. I know we can get this paid. Just want to know how! Furthermore, if we can only bill for 1 unit. I need the info to share with our physicians.

Sarah, CPC

New York State Capital District Professional Coders, Albany, NY

The J3420 code in HCPCS says 'up to 1000 mcg'. How much is the patient being given? I think you might find in the majority of the cases that you do not go over 1000 mcg. Therefore 1 unit should be sufficient. Does this make sense?

Similar Threads

1. Updated Mohs LCD Guidelines
    By banakay in forum Medicare Regulations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2013, 01:28 PM
  2. J0885 with J3420
    By ammontagano in forum Hematology/Oncology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 08:32 AM
  3. need help with J3420
    By clgregory in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2