AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Parasitizing vein of AV fistula

Default Parasitizing vein of AV fistula

AAPC: Back to School
    Can anyone tell me how to code the ligation of 2 parasitizing veins of an AV fistula? Fistula fails to mature due to these veins. Report says "incisions are carried down through the skin and subq tissues and the radial and ulnar veins that were of parazitizing nature are identified and ligated."

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hello: Take a look at procedure code 37607.

I did see that code but I thought it sounded like it was ligating the fistula or reducing flow in the fistula. My doc ligated 2 veins coming off of the main vein to the fistula in order to increase the flow thru the fistula.
    Do you think this code is still appropriate?

I am also having the same problem. Doctor bands a tributary vessel in order to increase the flow in the AV fistula. According to Ingenix Coders Desk Reference 2010, 37607 ("Ligation or banding of angioaccess arteriovenous fistula") is used to cut off or restrict blood flow through the fistula, and *we are trying to increase it*. Any help would be appreciated!

This needs more info about the sit eof procedure.
    Anyway I would like to addsome clues to it.parasitization often could mean Embolization also especially when it comes to vascular procedures. For eg, for paediatrics procedures they do parasitization by way of embolization of AVF to increase the blood fow in selective artery
    So in your case, if it was concerned with cranial/intracranial vascular/ aneurysm like stuff, more so with selective catheterization of the vessel, we can select from endovascular therapy 616xx serieswhich are for AV malformationor vascular diseases too. if aneurysm, you can select the code 61710 61711 like code sets.All based on the procedure performed by the surgeon.
    Do not take it as such I just wished to give some clue which may be /not right for your scenerio.
    Check with your physician whether the embolization is applicable
    Last edited by preserene; 10-05-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Default Ligation of tributary vein near AV fistula

In my case, this was done on the pt's forearm, ligation (banding) of a tributary vein from a dialysis arteriovenous fistula, in order to increase venous flow through the fistula. He did not ligate the fistula itself, only the tributary vein. No embolism involved.

Thanks for any help you can give!

The only other option you would have would be to bill 36832( revision of av fistula). Hope this helps.