Well you started out by saying the patient was sent for a referral for reconstruction, so I think you answered your own question.
But I can envision a scenario when a patient is sent to the plastic surgeon for a consultation to get information on options following mastectomy.
It all depends on the intent of the physician who sent the patient to you, and on the documentation of your physician as to what service was performed.
Of course, if the patient is covered by Medicare you cannot use the consultation codes in any case.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join