How would you bill this?

Default How would you bill this?
    Medical Coding Books
    I have a physician who saw the family of a patient to go over her medical needs and treatment options. The patient has memory loss along with multiple other medical problems including acute renal failure, dehydration, depression, diabetes, osteoporosis, and CAD. The patient was not there. He spent 45 minutes with the family. Can I bill this and if so, what code? I cannot find anything that may work so I am looking for advise from anyone. Thanks in advance.

Ashley

Look at 99358 (?)

Quote Originally Posted by A_Warren View Post
    I have a physician who saw the family of a patient to go over her medical needs and treatment options. The patient has memory loss along with multiple other medical problems including acute renal failure, dehydration, depression, diabetes, osteoporosis, and CAD. The patient was not there. He spent 45 minutes with the family. Can I bill this and if so, what code? I cannot find anything that may work so I am looking for advise from anyone. Thanks in advance.

Ashley
    Ashley,

You can bill this as self pay to the family. The office really should establish a coding guideline/policy regarding this issue. I tried to get them to do that a few years ago when I was working there. It would need to be made clear to the family members who are coming in that it will be a self pay visit. You can bill it based on time to the party/parties that will be involved and collect it at the time of the service. There are not too many insurance carriers that will pay for this service. A few years ago there were a few carriers that would pay for this service. This is an outpatient visit correct?

Good luck!
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Thanks Roxanne!

I wish AS would have told the family something - anything. But he didn't. I don't think any thing will come from it. I am trying to get them to establish a policy like this, but it isn't moving very quickly... you know how they move. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by A_Warren View Post
    Thanks Roxanne!

I wish AS would have told the family something - anything. But he didn't. I don't think any thing will come from it. I am trying to get them to establish a policy like this, but it isn't moving very quickly... you know how they move. :-)
    Funny thing is this was discussed prior to AS even being there? I told them years ago- like 2004 that they needed to get something in writing and make sure the front desk gets a laminated copy, are they the ones who still schedule appts? If I were you I'd talk to PV or PR about it, you know how they are ... they like their $$. You have to talk to them in $$ thats the only language they understand!

Have a good one!
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"