AAPC - Back to school

Thread: 71275 vs 75746

Default 71275 vs 75746

AAPC: Back to School
    I am having trouble with the following CPTs 71275 and 75746.

I have a report that states CT pulmonary angiogram with contrast...body of the report says: evaluation of the pulmonary arteries demonstrates pulmonary emboli in the right upper lobe and segmental branches and right lower lobe segmental branches. Evaluation of the lung demostrates no infiltrates. There is no pleural effusion. Limited evaluation of the abdomen demonstrates a small ascites. IMPRESSION: pulmonary emboli are seen in the right upper and right lower lobe pulmonary arteries. Clear lungs. Small ascites.

The code being used for the above report is 75746 (not my choice) and this is where my confusion sets in...I think that the correct code would be 71275. I have other reports for 71275 that state the exam performed is a CT Angio of the Chest. So the exam performed title differs and I get more information from a CT angio of the chest report but I need to clarify this so that I may then take the information back to my rads and ask them to add details of the exam to the report for clarification purposes.

Can 75746 even be used for a CT exam?

Am I correct with my thinking (71275) or is there another code that would better suit the report? Can anyone offer some guidance? If you need more info or details let me know. Thank you!

75746 can not be used for a CT exam.
    Most the time even the report says CTA is is just A CT 71250. Hope this helps.
    Angela Foreman, CPC