CPT Handbook for office based Coding-AMA /CPT Perspective:
(Page 274) The guidelines at the beginning of Maternity care and Delivery Subsection define the service included when Antenatal care , Delivery service and Postaprtum care are reported.
My perception genarally, the prenatal mandatary rules about prenatal visits are in compliance with the obstetrical guidance which is: monthly from the time of knowledge/confirmation/ first visit of pregnancy till the end of 2nd trimester(28completed weeks); fortnightly from thence till 36completed weeks; then weekly till the 38- 40weeks; from 36weeks onwards it is as frequently as per the physician's discretion, evaluation and the condition of the mother and the fetus(for the benefit of doubt, circumstances and for the benifit of better outcome of pregnancy, not necessarily have to be a high risk pregnancy to have that much of frequency of visits.
So, a minimum of 7- 8 visits (till 28 wks) ; 4 visits (till 36 weeks); 4-6 visits (till 40 weeks) and much more frequently from 40-42weeks (actually from the 38wks), as much as the physician schedules/advices.
So, the mathematics goes upto 18 antenatal visits from the start to the culmination of pregnancy. (for a normal pregnancy)
So the the OB rules for the prenatal visits could have been taken for granted/or hallmark for the CPT prenatal visits guideline.
Thank you for tuning in and for your time.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join