Per the CMS and CPT guidelines, if the provider spends greater than 50% of the visit counseling the patient or the patient's family, you can code the level based on time and report the appropriate Office/Outpatient E/M code (99201-99215).
NOTE: This does not apply to Medicare because they won't pay for non face to face services. I would get an ABN here anyway even though Medicare won't cover this. The patient is still financially responsible for Medicare non-covered services.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join