AAPC - Back to school

Thread: ICD-9 Code Help

Question ICD-9 Code Help

AAPC: Back to School
    Does anyone know what the icd-9 code is for MEWDS( Multiple Evanescent White Dot Syndrome?)
    Last edited by khoyt; 10-07-2010 at 11:22 AM.

It is a sort of retinochoroidopathy with focal, later multifocal,spots arise in the retina may be due to some viral origin, sooner or later involving the choroid also. It is a FUNDUS Lesion, spots located in the macular paramacular are predominently (with wispy borders and altered Sheen.
    You cannot locate with the terminology you gave.

So, 363.06 Focal retinitis and retinochoroiditis, macular or paramacular, would be more suitable , I believe .
    Genetic predisposition may also be there

However check with your Physician whether the description I gave would appropriate or not.
    May be this would help ,I am not sure.

Fayetteville, NC

Per EyeRounds.org:

MEWDS (Multiple Evanescent White Dot Syndrome) is a rare, unilateral, self-limiting inflammatory disease that afflicts young women more than men in a 4:1 ratio. Despite the lack of treatment, the prognosis is excellent. Our patient is the typical age and gender. She had no preceeding viral illness, which can be present in approximately 1/3 of MEWDS patients. Visual field testing reveals enlargement of the blind spot, central, and/or paracentral scotomas. Fluorescein angiography of active lesions may be normal early on and demonstrate a "wreath-like" late hyperfluorescence of the white dots. ERG during the active phase may show a reduced a-wave, consistent with inflammation at the level of the photoreceptors. Typically, the visual acuity recovers, but the granularity of the foveal RPE remains.
    Differential Diagnoses:
    •Acute Idiopathic Blind Spot Enlargement Syndrome (some feel this may be the same disease)
    •Acute Posterior Multifocal Placoid Pigment Epigheliopathy
    •Acute Retinal Pigment Epithelitis
    •Birdshot Retinochoroidopathy
    •Multifocal Choroiditis
    •Diffuse Unilateral Subacute Neuroretinitis

Maybe you can pull a diagnosis for these symptoms as when I Google MEWDS these EyeRound discussions are most of what come up which leads me to beieve that there may not be a specific diagnosis code solely for MEWDS.