Does anyone have a list of medically accepted abbreviations or know where I could come by a list like that of some sort? I would really be appreciative if someone could point me in the right direction.
We had a problem in our office with the docs and arnp using abbreviations for everything they can think up an abbreviation for. We've worked out a lot of those issues but there are still times that they fall back on old bad habits. Just today, I ran into a problem with our billing department kicking back an encounter in which the DX was written "PNA". The entire note was pretty clear to me what the abbreviation stands for and I'm familiar with the abbreviation being used for Pneumonia. That is what I coded for, pneumonia. The Subjective states that the patient was here for follow-up from ER visit in which the patient was diagnosed with "walking" PNA and it goes further into detail about wheezing and O2 Sat. etc etc. Anyway, the billing department sent back a memo, along with the coded encounter, saying that PNA does not stand for pneumonia. They limit what we're able to pull up on the internet here at work so it is sometimes very difficult to do any researching here. Any help finding a reputable source for medically accepted abbreviations would be extremely appreciated!
Hope this helps....
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join