AVM's and Polyps

Default AVM's and Polyps
    Medical Coding Books
    My GI doc treated a non-bleeding AVM of the duodenum with heater probe and he also ablated a polyp of the duodenum using gold probe. I am thinking that even though it was the same site I would code for both the AVM and the polyp using 43258, 43258-59. Is this correct or should I just use 43258 once. Thanks.
    JOJO-CPC-H

CCI edits state if the same intervention (e.g. lesion ablation) is performed on multiple lesions / polyps, it is only reported once. Modifier 59 would be used in this scenario to indicate the service was performed at a separate session on the same date.
    Jenny Berkshire, CPC, CEMC, CGIC

I am confused when you say seperate session. He did them at the same time so does that mean that I would only report the code once for this visit?
    JOJO-CPC-H

Separate session would be a situation where the patient was brought back for a second procedure after the first one has ended. The scenario you describe is coded as 43258 once.
    Jenny Berkshire, CPC, CEMC, CGIC

Quote Originally Posted by j.berkshire View Post
    Separate session would be a situation where the patient was brought back for a second procedure after the first one has ended. The scenario you describe is coded as 43258 once.
    Thanks!
    JOJO-CPC-H

Similar Threads

1. Help with diagnosis for CM-AVM
    By cae77 in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2015, 11:15 AM
  2. Cerebral AVM Embolization
    By Jim Pawloski in forum Interventional Radiology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 05:50 PM
  3. diag code for avm