Pain management injections and radiofrequency

Default Pain management injections and radiofrequency
    Medical Coding Books
    New to pain management in our ASC. Can someone explain to me exactly what a level is. For example I have a doctor that has performed a transforaminal injection at Right L4 and L5. Is the level considered L4-L5 (64483). Can you do an injection 2x in the same space? Not left and right (bilat), but L4 right and L5 right. Is this 1 level?
    Also what is considered a level for a RF procedure. Dictation is stating 6 level RF of Right L3,L4,L5,S1 and Left L5, S1. Is this truely 6 levels. Need to approach doc about dictation and need to make sure I have an understanding of this. Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by AWHITACRE View Post
    New to pain management in our ASC. Can someone explain to me exactly what a level is. For example I have a doctor that has performed a transforaminal injection at Right L4 and L5. Is the level considered L4-L5 (64483). Can you do an injection 2x in the same space? Not left and right (bilat), but L4 right and L5 right. Is this 1 level?
    Also what is considered a level for a RF procedure. Dictation is stating 6 level RF of Right L3,L4,L5,S1 and Left L5, S1. Is this truely 6 levels. Need to approach doc about dictation and need to make sure I have an understanding of this. Thanks for any help.

We bill the L4-L5 as a level and if done bilateral it's 64483 RT, 64483 LT. If an additional level is done you bill 64484 RT, 64484 LT for that level and any level thereafter.
    Same goes for RF, codes are 64622 RT, 64622 LT; 64623 RT, 64623 LT.. it took me awhile to catch onto this myself. Good Luck
    Sincerely,

Kristie Stokes, CPC, CPMA, CCS, CMDP, ICDCT-CM

AAPCCA Board of Directors 2014-2017
    Region 1 - Northeast
    Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York

Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine they see all day.