20160831 - FREE Code Books with Exam Prep Packages | Learn More

AAPC - August DL Sale: 50% OFF

Thread: Dermabond

Default Dermabond

I am just needing a second opinion on how to charge this visit. We have done this several different ways and I am interested to see what somebody else thinks. We had a patient come in for a laceration repair. The wound was too jagged to repair with suturing, so the physician used Dermabond. Steri-strips are billed under the appropriate E&M level, but what about the dermabond? Is the dermabond considered a tissue adhesive (eg cyanoacrylate) then indicating we should billed 12001? I appreciate the help!

Default dermabond response

yes, dermabond is not a surgical procedure....it's an adhesive-like substance....do not use a surgery code.....just the E/M suffices

Quote Originally Posted by jbolton View Post
    I am just needing a second opinion on how to charge this visit. We have done this several different ways and I am interested to see what somebody else thinks. We had a patient come in for a laceration repair. The wound was too jagged to repair with suturing, so the physician used Dermabond. Steri-strips are billed under the appropriate E&M level, but what about the dermabond? Is the dermabond considered a tissue adhesive (eg cyanoacrylate) then indicating we should billed 12001? I appreciate the help!
    Rachele Porter, AS, CPC, CPC-H, CEDC
    no weapons formed against me shall prosper

Default Thanks!

Thank you so much!

Bill G0168 if Medicare. For commercials; bill simple laceration repair, by site, code from CPT. Dermabond is not included in E/M.
    Thanks,
    Jagadish, CCS-P, CPC

Default G0168

When Using The G0168,
    What If It's A Repair Of Multiple Sites With The Glue?
    Report The Code 1x ?