Over 50% Off + FREE Exam with Certification Training | Learn More
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NKDA - How are others counting?

1. Default NKDA - How are others counting?
    Medical Coding Books
    I would be interested in finding out how fellow coders are currently counting the NKDA? Is this a ROS or counted as a PFSH?

Any input would be appreciated along with the rationale for the choice.

Kurt Rego, CPC
    Corporate Compliance

I was told at a Medicare seminar by the nurse reviewers that NKDA should be counted under PFSH. What do others do.

roxanne

Default NKDA - How are others counting?
    It should be counted in PFSH.

I think it depends on how your medicare carrier views it. We use it under ROS or PFSH but not both places.
    Brenda Edwards, CPC, CDEO, CPB, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC, CRC
    AAPC Fellow
    AAPC ICD-10-CM/PCS Training Expert

Kindness is contagious-PASS IT ON!

I generally count this as an element of the ROS. If you look under medicare E/M guidelines it shows "allergic/immunologic" as a system - I perceive this as a general statement that can apply to any allergy reviewed. Allergies (unless otherwise stated) are a current issue for the patient - and can potentially affect the doc's treatment options.
    Jason Steeprow, CPC

CMS has made documentation guidelines for this relatively clear--where I (personally) find dissent is in the interpretation of presenters, auditors and educators.

According to CMS, it may be counted as either Past Med. Hx. or as a ROS (All/Imm), but only one of those. It is pretty standard for auditors/coders to just automatically slam it into PFSH, although it may be needed elsewhere (e.g., ROS). Since the allowance is permitted by CMS, I would say it needs to be counted where it is needed in the document.

If specific FIs have rules outside those of CMS, they should place those in writing. I would also pay heed to what the Medical Reviewers (not Clinical Reviewers) are stating from those FIs; these are the people reviewing your documentation, after all.

Hope this helps.
    Kevin B. Shields, MA, RHIT, CPCO, CCS, CPC, COC, CCS-P, CPC-P, CPC-I

Default Ros
    I, personally, consider NKDA a ROS (allergy). Typically, past history is easy to get anywhere else and it's another point in the provider's favor to use it as a system.

8. Default
    NKDA stands for no known DRUG allergies. My outside consultant said that it should be counted as PFSH over ROS for 2 reasons: 1: it is documented (in my clinic) by the MA's not the provider and 2: it is not generally specific to the particular problem the patient is coming in for.

9. Default
    I always count it in ROS. In the ED, where I code, I feel it is always pertinent to nature of the presenting problem.

JG

Default Nkda
    This is part of the past medical history.

If a patient is asked about other allergies such as environmental allergies like hay fever, this would be part of the ROS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast