AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Limits on units that Medicare will pay on a procedure code

Default Limits on units that Medicare will pay on a procedure code

AAPC: Back to School
    Can anyone help me? I am looking for the Medicare limits on units that a procedure code will pay. Example: Procedure code 22851. We have billed a 22851 and another with modifier 59. Right now Medicaid is only paying 1 per 90 days. Medicaid has incorrectly limited this procedure and I need to find out where I can find the Medicare rules so that I may inform Medicaid that they need to correct there misinformation.

Please let me know if I have confused everyone or if someone gets what I am looking for. I have several codes that have been incorrectly limited on the units that Michigan Medicaid will pay. I am working with them to get these limits corrected.

Thank for your help

North Carolina

You can refer them to Medicare's MUE file which lists 9 as a typical max. I haven't personally experienced any issues with submitting multiple units of 22851; although, I know Medicaid can be difficult on some issues.

Open the 1st link under "downloads". The excel spreadsheet provides this information.

Good Luck~
    Last edited by RebeccaWoodward*; 10-14-2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: ADDED LINK

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 11:28 AM
  2. Medicare procedure code and modifier ?
    By TiffanyNH in forum Family Practice
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-20-2009, 10:37 AM
  3. Medicare And Office Visits Limits
    By NEWSAN123 in forum Dermatology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 01:57 PM