There are two vessels being stented, the RT and LT common iliacs. The initial access was a cutdown of the RT common femoral artery, second access was the LT common femoral
to me a "cutdown" does not necessarily equate to "open". Case in point is access for a AAA repair 34800-34825, all involve opening the femorals, iliacs and/or brachial, but are not "open" procedures. Open repairs of AAA are 34830, or 35082-35103.
Also, the definition of 37207-37208 from CDR " The physician makes an incision in the skin overlying the vessel to be catheterized. The vessel is dissected, and nicked with a small blade. A catheter with a stent-transporting tip is threaded into the vessel. The catheter travels to the point where the vessel needs additional support, and the compressed stent(s) is passed from the catheter into the vessel, where it expands to support the vessel walls...." at no point is the catheter advanced beyond the opened vessel.
To me, this means a open stent procedure is when the catheter/stent is not advanced beyond the open vessel, in this case the RT common femoral. Since the catheter/stent was advanced beyond the open vessel, I would code it 37205/75960 for the initial vessel (RT common iliac) and 37206/75960 for the additional vessel (lt common iliac). There are certainly two catheters placed so I would add 36245 and 36140-59. Always code for the number of vessels treated/stented, not for the number of stents placed.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join