AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Nasal Endoscopy surgical: w/polyps removal

Smile Nasal Endoscopy surgical: w/polyps removal

AAPC: Back to School
    How should I code the following: sinus endoscopy with anterior and posterior total ethmoidectomy with removal of polyps.

I choose 31255. Should I also include 31256 for the polyp removal but a antrostomy was not performed or is the polyp removal included in 31255 since it is a total eithmodectomy?

Your input is appreciated, Edna

I would also code 31255 for the total ethmoidectomy and 31237 for the excision of the polyp.

I agree with 31255 for ethmoid, total. But if you read the explanation of the surgical procedure 31255 it does say polyps may be excised during this total ethmoidectomy. I think this case depends on the coders interpertation of the op rept and explanation of the surgical procedure. Also too if the patient has a dx of nasal polyps from a previous exam.

Similar Threads

1. nasal endoscopy/nasal polyp injection
    By pegjoh5746 in forum ENT/Otolaryngology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 01:31 PM
  2. surgical endoscopy includes diagnostic endoscopy
    By phillirk in forum Gastroenterology
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 08:43 AM
  3. Nasal endoscopy w/removal of tissue
    By MADDIE in forum ENT/Otolaryngology